This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Thoracic Bridge Exercises & Wrist Pain

Started by Mimi Coker, February 25, 2017 · 6 Replies · 136 Views

Mimi Coker

Question about wrist pain... I'm in the middle of the Thoracic Bridge exercises, and noticed quite a few of them involve pressure on the wrists (handstands, etc). I have limited mobility in my right wrist due to scar tissue from a surgery a year ago (I had a ganglionic cyst removed). I'm completely healed, other than lots of scar tissue and pain when I put my body weight over it. What do you recommend that I do regarding the exercises that involve a lot of wrist mobility/pressure? Should I just skip them altogether? Or is there a way to modify?

 

Thanks in advance,

Mimi

Darin Phoenix

Hi Mimi, 

Wesley actually talks about the difference between wrist pressure and wrist pain in one of his videos. If it is just wrist pressure then it is ok to work through as your body will slowly become accustomed to this. However if it is pain that you are experiencing then you should get this checked out by a medical professional. Can you please be a little bit more specific as to which exercises are causing you difficulty. Then one of our coaches will have a better idea as to whether we can modify the progression for you. 

Mimi Coker

Darin,

Sure! The exercises are Rocking Table, Seal Stretch, Shoulder Flexion Press, and all of the Elevated Thoracic Bridge variations.

I'm able to do Rocking Table and Seal Stretch on my fingertips so that I don't put pressure on my wrist, but I'm not able to do the Shoulder Flexion Press or Elevated Thoracic Bridge variations.

I've been to my surgeon about this problem, and have been to a PT for rehab, as well as a specialist for a 2nd opinion. They have all told me that when it comes to healing, this may be as good as it is going to get. Because of the location, (it is right at the crease, of my wrist where flexion and extension occurs at the joint), that is what is making it tricky for me to perform weight baring exercises. However, I want to believe that over time I can heal this because it really is the scar tissue that is the problem, as well as having tight flexors and extensors, due to the lack of range of motion.  

I'm curious if anyone else may have experienced something similar, and if so, what they found helpful (if anything)? 

 

 

 

Everett Carroll

Hi Mimi,

The Handstand One Course contains wrist flexibility and strength progressions. Since your wrist is healed, I think you would benefit from adding that course into your weekly routine. It takes a long time for joints to get stronger and function better, especially after an injury, so I think a combination of Handstand One, consistency, and patience is what you need. Like Darin said, be sure you are sensitive to your wrists; don't push them exceptionally hard in any given session and never train through pain.

You may need to focus on the wrist exercises from H1 for a now and completely avoid painful exercises. Stop the TB Series at the point that you begin to feel pain in your wrists. Many students will end the series at Inverted Cat for some time. Consider doing this and, as your wrist strength and mobility improves, you will be able to go deeper into the series. 

    

Mimi Coker

Thank you, Everett. That's really helpful advice. I will check out H1 and see how it goes. I appreciate your feedback.

Jon Douglas

The wrist work from H1 has done wonders for mine, from years of hitting the bags :) they are indispensable in my warmup

Mimi Coker

Thanks Jon! I will check it out! : )