This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Beginner Wrist Issues, General Hypermobility Issues

Started by Sara Haase, February 24, 2017 · 1 Replies · 59 Views

Sara Haase

 

On day two of Fundamentals. Is there anything I can be doing on top of the assigned exercises to help with wrist weakness/discomfort/some pain? Is there a proper way I should be warming up/cooling down before doing the exercises to help with my issues? Or should I just stick with the program as is?

History - I've had general hypermobility issues that have lead to lots of joint issues all over. 18 months ago I also I had a Bennett's fracture [base of thumb] in a car accident and had to have surgery, screws and plates keeping it together now. I am an artist and am about to attempt to re-enter my massage therapy career and want to build up true strength in the hands and wrists. Also potential systemic inflammation from Crohn's disease, which is mostly in remission. 

 

 

Thank you!

Everett Carroll

Hi Sara,

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to GymnasticBodies! For some extra practice, you can review previous day's lessons to warm up and perform some extra practice of the current lesson after it is complete. Avoid training through pain, however. If you experience any pain, especially joint pain, stop immediately. You may want to consider working closely with a medical professional to ensure the safety of your joints and to be sure you are safely working with your prior injuries.

You want to be very sensitive to your wrists. They are complex and wrist exercises should be carefully and patiently eased into. Don't try to force your progress; lightly warm up and then focus mainly on each day's new lesson. After you have finished Fundamentals, you can begin more focused wrist preparation with the Handstand One Course. You will continue to be gradually eased into wrist flexibility and strength work in that course. Attempting to rush progress, especially when it comes to joints, is never a good idea.