This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

MN/PE 1 (Tuck Up)

Started by Lorenzo Bohl, February 24, 2017 · 4 Replies · 147 Views

Lorenzo Bohl

I've been working through the early stages of manna and have found something a little frustrating. I don't know if it is because I have a squishy belly or what, but...

In performing the tuck up it is (1) challenging to keep my knees together from floor to tucked position and (2) very difficult to bring my knees to my chest. Balance does not seem to be much of an issue, and it does not seem to have gotten much better since beginning these progressions. How do I earn the mobility to keep my knees together in the tucked position? And what appears to be the limiting factor in people who struggle with tucked compression?

Something that is concerning is the amount of compression gained out of the T-spine and not the L-spine+hips.

Everett Carroll

Hi Lorenzo,

Your ability to keep your knees together will improve with practice. Your compression (pulling your knees to your chest) will improve as the strength and mobility of your abdominals and hip flexors improve. The Middle Split Stretch Course will work wonders here so if you are not yet working on that series I strongly suggest it. I also recommend submitting a video of both your PE and iM. Once you get those submitted we can provide more specific suggestions. 

35 minutes ago, Lorenzo Bohl said:

Something that is concerning is the amount of compression gained out of the T-spine and not the L-spine+hips.

Can you please describe this further or show what you mean in a video?

Lorenzo Bohl
2 hours ago, Everett Carroll said:

Can you please describe this further or show what you mean in a video?

Sure thing! I can't get a video up just yet, but when I can, I will get on that.

I've been working on the MSS since I began working GST, so, that's been going well, with the exception that I have not been placing much of an emphasis on an anterior pelvic tilt during the stretch series until the last couple of weeks (I just wasn't aware I was doing it wrong as I felt I was making some pretty good gains).

I feel that instead of making my pelvis rotate posteriorly and my hips flex further, I've been trying to compensate by rounding out my thoracic spine in order to get my chest/shoulders closer to my knees. Another way of visualizing this in my mind is that the space between the tops of my thighs and my abdomen does not get much smaller.

Lorenzo Bohl

Tuck Up:

Stiff Legged Windmill

 

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Lorenzo,

From your videos it looks like you are doing a good job. As Everett said, it is a matter of patience and being consistent in your practice. You tuck up will improve as you become stronger through practice. Compression at the top of your tuck up will get better as you work the iM seriously.

On your iM You are doing a nice job of keeping the weight directly over your shoulder throughout your set. I recommend spreading your feet apart a small amount. This will allow you to get a deeper stretch.

You're on the right track. Be patient in your training and you will keep improving!