This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Weekly Schedule

Started by Victor Rodriguez Rodriguez, February 24, 2017 · 3 Replies · 167 Views

Victor Rodriguez Rodriguez

Hello to everyone!

First of all I would like to introduce myself, my name is Victor, and I am a Physical Therapist from Spain. I have always been very interested in bodyweight/ Gymnastics training, and now I decided to start with GB. I have been doing some weightlifting, crossfit, and basic bodyweight training, and also I swim and run. I write this post because I want you to give me your opinion on my weekly Schedule, as I want to center my training on GB, but I do not want to give up running/ swimming and lifting.

I have only been 1 week through the training process but I am really glad I got into it, for the moment I bought Foundation one, but I plan to add more in a month or so, If everything goes as planned. Should I go for H1 that fast? or should I advance a little in F1 before H1?

I have advanced pretty fast on the Rope climb and Hollow Back Press foundations, to PE3 where we have strict pushups and strict ring rows. I am focusing on doing everything pretty slow, taking care of maintaining perfect form, and I have to say that at first I told to my self "Okay, 5x9 pushups? too easy", but taking good care of form and doing them slowly felt more than expected, and I woke up the day after feeling like someone had punched my ribs (I think it is the first honest "hello" from my Serratus), so I guess it is working as expected haha.

 

I leave a link with a photo of my schedule. Lifts are basically squats, deadlifts, front squats, lunges, and clean/snatch (rotating every week). Running days are short runs, no more than 5km. The swimming day I do about 3000m (1500 with fins, more or less)58b05792628e5_Capturadepantallade2017-02-24165305.png.c5cea987f67c93f967b9262ccc7a8383.png

A

Everett Carroll

Hi Victor,

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to GymnasticBodies!

2 minutes ago, Victor Rodriguez Rodriguez said:

Should I go for H1 that fast? or should I advance a little in F1 before H1?

The Stretch Series, Handstand One, Handstand Two, and Tumbling One are all designed so that complete GST beginners can begin the immediately. I completely understand if diving into all of those courses right away is too big of commitment. Just add them to your course library when you can since the ideal schedule for beginners is Coach Sommer's recommended. Most adults benefit most by making the Stretch Series their next GST addition so I suggest looking into those first. Then consider H1, T1, and H2. Even though the Press Handstand Course (H2) is the second HS course, it contains a number of preparatory press handstand progressions that you can begin training right away.

14 minutes ago, Victor Rodriguez Rodriguez said:

I have advanced pretty fast on the Rope climb and Hollow Back Press foundations, to PE3 where we have strict pushups and strict ring rows. I am focusing on doing everything pretty slow, taking care of maintaining perfect form,

 

Be sure to post form checks of all the progressions you have mastered to ensure your form is correct. Also, be sure you are using the follow along workouts to keep your tempo. Before moving on to the next progression, you want to be sure you can maintain proper form at the shown tempo. 

Any additional activities you choose to include into your training schedule are just fine. I only suggest that you prioritize your Foundation One training. Other activities should come secondary. Monitor your recovery carefully as well to ensure the other activities do not impede your GST progress.

Victor Rodriguez Rodriguez

Thanks Everett, I have to ask you one more question: Lets say I have reached PE 5 of one foundation. Is it ok to only do the mobility exercise of that progression, or should I do also (maybe as a warm-up) some sets of the prior progressions? I feel like it could be beneficial. 

Thanks

Everett Carroll

Hi Victor,

You should be training both the strength and mobility components of each progression during your workout.

Using previously mastered progressions (PE and iM) for warm up is very productive. Please see this article from the introduction section of your courses for more information: https://my.gymnasticbodies.com/f-warmup/