This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Questions on HBP/PE7 Straight Bar Dips

Started by David Rosenberg, February 24, 2017 · 13 Replies · 306 Views

David Rosenberg

There are lots of videos on the forum about how not to do straight bar dips. Does anybody have any links to good examples of straight bar dips? The video in the course is small and only a front view - also it's not clear what are the acceptable deviations from how it looks. For example, the junior gymnast seems to flair his elbows. Is this the only way, or is it acceptable to also keep the elbows in close to the body? Close feels safer and more in line with the HBP skills, but also seems to make it harder to keep body vertical. 

Thanks!

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hi David, post your execution and i'll tell you if there are room of improvements.

David Rosenberg

Thanks Alessandro.   After reading on the forum for 30 minutes, I know I have plenty of room for improvement.  What I never saw in all that searching, together with 30 minutes of searching on YouTube, is an example of a bar dip that looks good by the standards here.  I'm sure there are plenty of examples, and it would be great to see a few more. 

This is a actually a general 'feature request' I'd like to make.  I think it would be great to have a 'hall of fame' folder (or something) in each section where we can see examples of people achieving the skills at the right level.  This would be motivational and also give a better sense for the variety of acceptable forms.  Right now all these great examples are lost in Instagram obscurity and hard to find.

 

Suzanna McGee
1 hour ago, David Rosenberg said:

 I think it would be great to have a 'hall of fame' folder (or something) in each section where we can see examples of people achieving the skills at the right level.

I agree. I'd love to see all these different body types, men and women, achieve mastery in different progressions. It would be motivating to watch. 

David Rosenberg

Ok - I'm ready for some feedback. Thanks!

 

Leo Trinidad

Hi @David Rosenberg, 

Looking good. Just keep everything tight and consistent. Your 4th rep is the best one according to depth. Always keep your legs together and point your toes. Don't forget to lock those knees. :) Keep up the good work.

David Rosenberg

Tried to clean it up a bit. 

 

Alessandro Mainente

Nice range of motion here.

Kai Ewert

Do you have a front view also? I can't tell for sure but your elbows look like they move out to the side?

David Rosenberg

Yes they definitely go out to the side. I was going straight back before, but then I had to lean my chest more forward. I can make a front view. But it seemed like the demo video has elbows going out to the side. 

Winter Phoenix

Elbows out to the side are fine as per the video in the course. Nice job David.

Marcus Patterson

What is the best suggested hand positioning for this movement?

Alessandro Mainente
2 hours ago, Marcus Patterson said:

What is the best suggested hand positioning for this movement?

hands approximately under the shoulders.

Adam McCubbin

Thanks for posting @David Rosenberg 
I had the same question. 

I tried my first straight bar dip yesterday, without much info on the technique section of GB. Felt my legs being pulled under the bar and had no idea if it was right. 
This post helped clarify with the side angle video.