This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Twisting mobility and side bends

Started by Mike Ross, February 24, 2017 · 3 Replies · 132 Views

Mike Ross

Hi everyone...I have. Question related to mobility

 

i have really poor torso  twisting ROM, flexibility and mobility and poor ROM when doing side bends....are there any drills I can do to improve this....when twisting a lot I usually end is tweaking my lower back.

if it helps info wise, I suffer from an anterior pelvic tilt....

Everett Carroll

Hi Mike,

Have you consulted a medical professional about your lower back pain? I see you are currently training SL/PE2; do the SL/PE2>iM or MN mobilities trigger pain? If not, what twisting exercises cause the pain?

The SL mobilities are the best path to more flexiblity through your sides but your back pain must be addressed before anything else. You never want to train through pain. 

Mike Ross

For example (and I have posted form checks on this already)the straight leg windmill when I twist irritates my back and while I know the advice is keep working at it etc etc its pretty much served as useless advice because that exercise is too advanced and I need a progression that leads up to that mobility because its too hard and my flexibility sucks...

In general If I do any torso twisting If I am not careful it will irritate my lower back....pretty much I feel alot of restricted mobility in my lower back....I also have to constantly be careful I do not hyper extend my back because of my anterior pelvic tilt

 

The SL/PE2 is fine because when I do the elbow side planks that range of motion doesn't hurt but its stiff so I know that my range falls within that range of motion....the standing trunk circles aren't bad but if I over extend I feel close to tweaking .

My biggest issue I think is that twisting hence the stiffness within the elbow plank which is why I am wondering if there is anything else I can add to my current F1 to help mobility in this Range of Motion now that I have identified a deficit

Everett Carroll

Hi Mike,

This sounds like an issue that is best covered with a physio. You want an in-person diagnosis here. It is not worth continuing to train through pain or even pending irritation. A good physio/chiro will likely provide you with more basic exercises to help with these issues. I suggest getting a diagnosis as soon as possible.