This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS1 and HS2 simultaneously?

Started by Stephan Ralescu, February 23, 2017 · 22 Replies · 493 Views

Stephan Ralescu

Hi!

I have HS1 and F1.  I can already do a straddle press handstand and a tuck press handstand (I cannot press into/from pike).

I just read in an other thread that HS1 and HS2 can be done simultaneously?  Is this true, and if so, what is the logic behind this?  I've been working for years on pike press handstand but am stuck.

Thank you,

Stephan

Everett Carroll

Hi Stephan,

Great question. Handstand Two focuses completely on the development of press handstand and is split into preparatory and specific elements. You can begin the preparatory elements in H2 immediately as they are designed to give you a jump start on the strength and mobility requirements of specific press handstand training.

H1 and H2 trained together each week is a potent combination. I strongly suggest adding that course to your library. H2 will integrate seamlessly into your current handstand training so it will be a smooth, effective addition to your weekly training routine. Plus, the press handstand preparatory exercises are really fun!

Stephan Ralescu

Sold!

 

Stephan Ralescu

So, some of the PE moves look exactly like what I've been practicing in Ashtanga Yoga for 15 years (except I just use the floor, no paralletes).  I'm stoked to add this in.

So is the process F1 >> HS1 >> HS2 >> Stretch?

Alessandro Mainente

HI Stephan how you have to choose the courses depends on your structural limitation

I suggest as a basci approach H1 and F1, if you have trouble with hs1 IM's then add bridge stretch series.

once you begin H2 if you struggle with IM's you need to merge the work with the other 2 stretch courses.

Robert Lopez
11 hours ago, Everett Carroll said:

Hi Stephan,

Great question. Handstand Two focuses completely on the development of press handstand and is split into preparatory and specific elements. You can begin the preparatory elements in H2 immediately as they are designed to give you a jump start on the strength and mobility requirements of specific press handstand training.

H1 and H2 trained together each week is a potent combination. I strongly suggest adding that course to your library. H2 will integrate seamlessly into your current handstand training so it will be a smooth, effective addition to your weekly training routine. Plus, the press handstand preparatory exercises are really fun!

What are the prerequisites for deciding whether or not H2 should be done in parallel to H1?

Everett Carroll

Hi Robert,

There are no prerequisites. H2 can be started immediately. 

Stephan Ralescu
21 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

HI Stephan how you have to choose the courses depends on your structural limitation

I suggest as a basci approach H1 and F1, if you have trouble with hs1 IM's then add bridge stretch series.

once you begin H2 if you struggle with IM's you need to merge the work with the other 2 stretch courses.

I practiced lots of Ashtanga Yoga - 15 years (if you are familiar, first, second [I spent A LOT of time on the second series], and the beginning of third series).  I can do lots of the mobility - full splits, middle splits, shoulder dislocates (but without much weight).  Supination of my left wrist is tender since I sprained it doing chin-ups one year ago. I stopped practicing such intense yoga recently (about one year) took up swimming again, and lost quite a bit of my thoracic flexibility (I used to grab my ankles in back bends), but its coming back slowly (swimming really stiffened up my scapula).  I'm choosing to focus on GST now because, after a wrist injury recovered, I got a shoulder injury, my third (same shoulder)  That was IT for me.  I teach yoga, so I must continue to practice it (I know its not optimal, but I would feel like a hypocrite, and I love it).

Leigh Kettle

 

On 23/02/2017 at 5:06 PM, Everett Carroll said:

Hi Stephan,

Great question. Handstand Two focuses completely on the development of press handstand and is split into preparatory and specific elements. You can begin the preparatory elements in H2 immediately as they are designed to give you a jump start on the strength and mobility requirements of specific press handstand training.

H1 and H2 trained together each week is a potent combination. I strongly suggest adding that course to your library. H2 will integrate seamlessly into your current handstand training so it will be a smooth, effective addition to your weekly training routine. Plus, the press handstand preparatory exercises are really fun!

Hi everett

this is something I've never heard mentioned before . The way I understood how the programmes worked if they were numbered is that they follow on from each other not run alongside....should  hs1 not be completed before hs2 started .

And are you saying that ideally hs1 and hs2 should be done together right from the off.as I say  I've never heard this before and surely if I'm struggling with Im/1 shoulder flexion then starting my road to handstand press with hs2 wouldn't be advisable . Am I wrong ?

Suzanna McGee

@Leigh Kettle I am still in H1/PE8 (Wall Runs) and have been working H2 for a while (I am on PE4). I love doing both in one day. So far, in H2 it is more about developing the pushing and compressing strength (no handstands right now), while in H1 I am working on my handstands and the shoulder mobility. I think it works great together. 

Everett Carroll

Handstand Two will help along your mobility deficits Leigh. There are over a dozen preparatory elements alone, designed for your exact situation. Start H2 as soon as you can! :)

 

Leigh Kettle

 

On 23/02/2017 at 5:06 PM, Everett Carroll said:

 

11 minutes ago, Suzanna McGee said:

@Leigh Kettle I am still in H1/PE8 (Wall Runs) and have been working H2 for a while (I am on PE4). I love doing both in one day. So far, in H2 it is more about developing the pushing and compressing strength (no handstands right now), while in H1 I am working on my handstands and the shoulder mobility. I think it works great together. 

Awesome Suzanna thank you .

 

this may well need to be my next purchase sooner rather than later then .

Can I just ask,  i Do have elbow issues that I'm currently rehabbing would hs2 still be worthwhile (i.e. Is there any elbow taxing progressions early on ?)

many thanks 

Leigh 

Everett Carroll

Both the strength and mobility components of H2 involve supporting/holding some of your weight with straight arms. If the early HS weighted mobilities irritate your elbow then it's likely not a good choice at this time. You could get H2, take a look, and then consult with your physio if you're unsure. 

Leigh Kettle
2 minutes ago, Everett Carroll said:

Both the strength and mobility components of H2 involve supporting/holding some of your weight with straight arms. If the early HS weighted mobilities irritate your elbow then it's likely not a good choice at this time. You could get H2, take a look, and then consult with your physio if you're unsure. 

Thanks everett

im literally no where near completing mobility one (seated shoulder flexion ) of hs1 and am currently using an unweighted bar and various daily drills to help me so I couldn't tell you if the early weighted mobilities would aggravate me further but some of foundation stRaight arm work (scrap shrugs/ table holds) certainly didn't feel too good back before I started my rehab so this may not be good just yet whilst I'm in my rehab phase .

 However my compression along with most things is poor so I'd love to get some of this work started properly 

Mmmm. What to do?

kindest regards

leigh 

Suzanna McGee
46 minutes ago, Leigh Kettle said:

im literally no where near completing mobility one (seated shoulder flexion ) of hs1 and am currently using an unweighted bar and various daily drills to help me so I couldn't tell you if the early weighted mobilities would aggravate me further but some of foundation stRaight arm work (scrap shrugs/ table holds) certainly didn't feel too good back before I started my rehab so this may not be good just yet whilst I'm in my rehab phase .

 However my compression along with most things is poor so I'd love to get some of this work started properly 

Mmmm. What to do?

There are sort of plank-like thingies in H2 and similar things where you support your bodyweight on straight arms. So if you have problems in F1, you probably will have here too… howeverrrrrrrrrrr….. "what to do?" If you plan to get it eventually, get it now if your finances allow. You can at least look and maybe see where you have to be to be able to do it. Once I realized I like GB, I bought all 4 foundations, even though it may take me years to get to the last one  :-)   I like to see what is ahead and what is possible :)

Leigh Kettle

Thanks suzanna

i will certainly make this my next purchase and see how I get on

many thanks for your help 

Leigh 

 

Gerrit Wels

Thank you for this thread, was under the impression that hs2 came after hs1. Going to work on both now :)

 

Ferdinand Berr

I'm thinking about getting H2, too, as I'm pretty happy with F1+H1+Stretch right now, I'm just thinking about the scheduling:

Right now I'm splitting my workouts mostly into Lower Body + Core + FSS/MSS   and   H1 + Upper Body + TBS. If I added H2 to my Upper Body workout (-> would then be H1 + H2 + Upper Body + TBS once a week), would this rather be too much for one workout or completely fine? If the increased volume hinders my F1 progress I think I would have to schedule otherwise with H2.

Thanks!

Jennifer Rodriguez

Totally fine to add H2 Ferdinand. 

However, are you doing MS *and* FS on the same day along with the Lower Body and Core workouts?  That's a long session.  Whatever works, I guess.

Ferdinand Berr

Oh I guess I didn't express myself very well there;) 

What I meant is I'm always doing either FS or MS after my Core + Lower Body workout. I try to do this twice a week, so that I train my F1 elements twice/week and all my Stretch courses once/week. So with Upper Body and H1 there's TB added once/week and the second Upper Body workout is a shorter one without a Stretch course afterwards;) 

Jon Douglas

In terms of structure this is fine; I prefer not to put my HS and upper on the same day though. If you are fine with it then no worries

Ferdinand Berr

I just thought it wouldn't allow proper recovery if I trained Upper Body and Handstand on consecutive days, therefore I put in on the same day. It gives me basically a split like this: A, B, rest day, A, B, rest day....

Starting from this basic split I adjust my weekly schedule to my actual recovery, soreness etc and will have two rest days in a row every now and then. But it makes sure I always have at least two days of recovery in between workouts of the same body parts. Or would you say the Handstand workouts target muscle groups too different from the Upper Body ones, so that doing them on consecutive days wouldn't really bother?

Everett Carroll

Hey Ferdinand,

There are many ways to schedule HS in. I prefer to schedule it before thoracic bridge stretch or after lower body. As long as you are getting it in and your schedule works for you, keep it up.