This is my first attempt at the Jefferson curl. I've been doing the front split series every week for the past 11 weeks, but my hamstrings are still really tight. I'm trying to do it right--bend vertebra by vertebra . I'd love some feedback.
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Started by Stephen Thayer, February 23, 2017 · 7 Replies · 90 Views
This is my first attempt at the Jefferson curl. I've been doing the front split series every week for the past 11 weeks, but my hamstrings are still really tight. I'm trying to do it right--bend vertebra by vertebra . I'd love some feedback.
Hi Stephen,
Before you begin the descent, keep your glutes and core strongly engaged. As you begin curling down, keep your hips pressed forward for as long as you can (use your glute engagement here to press forward). Otherwise, it looks good to me. You did a good job of curling your vertebrae one by one.
How heavy is that bar?
I see what you mean, @Everett Carroll. My butt started moving backward from the very beginning of the movement. I guess that's what the instructor in the technique video means by "keeping a strong posterior [pelvic] tilt to begin with."
The bar is 25lbs. Is that too heavy to start with?
2 hours ago, Stephen Thayer said:I guess that's what the instructor in the technique video means by "keeping a strong posterior [pelvic] tilt to begin with."
Exactly Stephen. As for the weight, I suggest dropping it down to somewhere between 5 and 15 pounds to start off with. Keep with each weight for at least 3 months before adding more. It should always feel very easy, even after it has been increased.
Awesome. Thanks!
Keep the bar immediately close to the shinbone when you pass the instep during the ascent portion.
Here's my 2nd attempt. I've dropped the weight from 25lbs to 10lbs. I'm trying to keep my glutes tight for as long as possible. @Alessandro Mainente I forgot to move the bar closer to my shin on the ascent. I'll keep that in mind for next week.
Any other observations (besides how ridiculously tight my posterior chain is)?
you got the point, correct it.