This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Warm ups and cool downs

Started by Tom Clair, February 23, 2017 · 16 Replies · 564 Views

Tom Clair

I'm in the early stages of F1, HS1 and the stretch series. What should my warm up look like? Right now I'm doing 10 min of cardio followed by the daily limber, then right to that days scheduled exercises. As I progress should I be including a set or two of exercises from earlier steps? How about a 'cool down' currently I'm not doing one?

Alessandro Mainente

HI  Tom,

The stretch series are made so that the beginning elements are a enough for warming up, btw 3 set of 1 minute of jumping jack it is fine.

For Foundations after the general warm up you should use the last mastered elements as a warm up. for example if you mastered HBP P1 then use 1 set of mastery reps for the warm up and so on for all the elements. same thing for HS1.

Tom Clair

Thanks, I thought that might be the way.

Jamie Beuthin

What is the "daily limber" you are referring to? Thanks.

Tom Clair

It's a short stretching routine. It can be found toward the end of the Fundamentals program.

Michael Vetter
On 2/23/2017 at 3:05 PM, Alessandro Mainente said:

HI  Tom,

The stretch series are made so that the beginning elements are a enough for warming up, btw 3 set of 1 minute of jumping jack it is fine.

For Foundations after the general warm up you should use the last mastered elements as a warm up. for example if you mastered HBP P1 then use 1 set of mastery reps for the warm up and so on for all the elements. same thing for HS1.

General warmup? Is it something in the course or something one does by himself?

Affan Osman
39 minutes ago, Michael Vetter said:

General warmup? Is it something in the course or something one does by himself?

General warmup is something you do yourself. It could be jumping jacks, jumping rope, easy jog, german arm swings etc.

Michael Vetter

Alright, was not sure if its referring to something i missed that could be a name or general time. Like 'daily limber'.

Thanks Affan.

Jamie Beuthin

I never purchased fundamentals, and I am pretty deep into Foundation 1, however I feel that I am lacking a good warm up routine. It feels a bit excessive to purchase Fundamentals just to get a warm up routine. Any thoughts on that? 

Alessandro Mainente

The warm up consists into 3 phase:

-4-6 minutes of cardio

-general: 10 minutes of general activation like limbs swings or circle and dynamic stretch

-specific: here you can use the AST mastered elements as a warm up both PE and IM.

Tom Clair

Thanks

Étienne Lajeunesse
On 2017-5-9 at 9:18 AM, Alessandro Mainente said:

The warm up consists into 3 phase:

-4-6 minutes of cardio

-general: 10 minutes of general activation like limbs swings or circle and dynamic stretch

-specific: here you can use the AST mastered elements as a warm up both PE and IM.

How do you include the specific exercises? If we do F7, do we have to do every progressions or only some? And all of them at the end of the warm-up or right before an exercise? 

I also started using foam roller during the warm-up, but it takes a lot of time (it could take me 20-25 min overall before starting the main training), what are your recommandations for that?

Thank you!

Felipe Garcia Rosa

Hey there,

I inderstood that you wouldnt want to go long on warmup, and keep it as 10 mins at most. I do 3 min of cardio, 5 min of pe and rest short limbering. Is that right?

Winter Phoenix

In regards to the warm up, you don't want to be over thinking this. Warm ups need only be long enough to prepare you for your main workout. It is also a very individualised thing some people may require longer some people can be ready to go much faster. Keep it simple and as soon as you feel ready, get started on the main body of your workout. This is what your focus should be on and what will bring you the results you are here for.

Michael Vetter

Re-reading this post I saw that warm-ups were discussed.

What about cool-downs?

How does your cool-down routine look like? What should one keep in mind when designing one? What goal should it be for?

Rayne-William Fitzgerald

From the course material: Warming Up

Quote

Warm up with two to three sets of higher reps of exercises which you have already mastered.

Choose from among the following rep schemes; 21/15/9 or 21/15 or 15/9.

For example if you were working Parallel Bar Dips (HBP/PE6), you might choose to warm up with HBP/PE1 for 15 reps, before completing a set of Bench Dips (HBP/PE4) for 9 reps. Note that your ability with the particular HBP/PE which you select should match the prescribed warm up repetition range you have chosen.

Note also that the rate of perceived exertion (RPE) on these warm up sets should only be moderate at best. If you are working hard, you have selected preparatory elements which are too challenging to be used for warm up sets.

Do not spend exorbitant amounts of time and effort warming up for your day’s workout; 5-10 minutes is plenty.


A "cool down" can be as simple as walking around.

Étienne Lajeunesse
13 hours ago, Michael Vetter said:

Re-reading this post I saw that warm-ups were discussed.

What about cool-downs?

How does your cool-down routine look like? What should one keep in mind when designing one? What goal should it be for?

Hi Michael,

Generally, cooldowns are used to bring back the HR down, help to recovery...

I like to do the hardest iMs there though in passive stretch, holding them for 30-45sec.  You can also use the hardest stretches for you.