This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Scapular shrug - my new best friend!

Started by Garry Barker, February 23, 2017 · 7 Replies · 273 Views

Garry Barker

Hi all

Just wondered what peoples thoughts were on scapular shrugs? I have to admit when I first saw them on the F1 course I thought they were going to be a doddle (the ego still loitering I think) until I tried them.  I found them not just tough but really uncomfortable.

I finally achieved the 5x15 reps after 3-4 months and moved on to forearm plank holds but seem to have a slight addiction to scap shrugs

I remember going for the planch a few years ago starting on tuck planch but I could never progress from that and couldn’t understand why. Now I do!

I continue to do the 5x15 reps of SS after the FAPH set and was wondering if anyone else has continued with them after advancing or if the coaches know any way of making them more difficult or even just if anyone has any thought on them??

Chris Umiastowski

It raises a good question that I'd love to see answered as part of an FAQ video series dropped into the F1 (and other) products.  When we pass a progression are we supposed to keep training that exercise?  How specifically?  It's a common question.  I keep thinking I should make a written list of all the exercises I've moved past and go back to them randomly after my main workout - or as part of a warmup.

Jeffrey Bittner

@Chris Umiastowski Doing past progressions as part of your warm up is a great idea. It is a good way to remind your body of the correct position you are supposed to hit on your exercises. Going back to basics is always a good idea.

Samin Ishtiaq

The formal advice is to keep them as your warmup. 

Realize that, once you've mastered, you'll lose that mastery as you move on to work on the next progression. Well, I did; you may not!

Dovile Jakniunaite

I was trying to master scapular shrugs for more than a year. They were surprisingly tough for me. And I definitely feel the difference and impact now: area in my upper back (? not sure how to call it) is more flexible and stronger.

I now do 20 scapular shrugs before plank holds, and would like to increase to 30.

Garry Barker

So scap shrugs as a warm up and maybe increasing the reps for difficulty seems to be the way forward. I would feel really disappointed in a few months time if I could no longer do 5x15 reps or more knowing how long it took to master them. I'm guessing your mindset changes as you progress through the foundations though?

I agree these do make your upper back feel really conditioned to move forward, it makes you realise the importance of foundation.

 

 

Everett Carroll

Hi Garry,

The warmup protocol from your introduction section will help you maintain adequate strength and proficiency with previously mastered elements: https://my.gymnasticbodies.com/f-warmup/

Garry Barker

Thanks Everett 

I didn't know that page existed.