This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Standing Pike Question

Started by Bryan Murley, February 23, 2017 · 7 Replies · 144 Views

Bryan Murley

Just a quick question. I have terrible hamstring mobility and can't form a 90 degree angle with my torso at the hips with anterior pelivc tilt.. For this reason, I don't have the weight of my torso to add in the stretch. Is there anything wrong with pushing into a wall with my hands to add some additional force into the stretch?

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Bryan,

Great question. Using a wall for some added down force is a great idea if you are not feeling the stretch. Several students with tight hamstrings have done this stretch while standing on ropes or bands. Doing this will allow you to pull yourself further into the stretch which you may find is more effective than tying to push against a wall.

Bryan Murley

Ill give that a shot as well. Thanks for the input!

Jeffrey Bittner

@Bryan Murley Please keep us posted on your results. We are also here to help if you need anything else!

John Kiggundu

@Bryan Murley needless to say the hamstrings are one of the muscles that are super prone to injury so take it really slow.

Bryan Murley

i tried the stretch with a band and found it uses alot of energy in the lower back to maintain an anterior pelvic tilt while pulling on the band... i think it will be a good progression, just not there yet

 

I'm actually not prone to hamstring injuries. I've never had an actual hamstring pull/tear, however i have had some small issues with gracilis from time to time (also very tight)

 

thank you for all of the advice

Bryan Murley

I actually just played around with it a little more and i really like the stretch imit gives me using a strap. Definitely requires alot of back muscle but ill use this version when actually doing the stretch series and the wall version (not as intense) on other days.

Michael Vetter

When I do the standing pike it doesnt feel like a stretch it feels more like its strengthening. Its not easy to stay like this for the time required, with the knee pressing to the wall and quads enganged and all the weight on just one leg. Is that right?