This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

MN/PE6>iM

Started by Shari Lawrence, February 22, 2017 · 10 Replies · 162 Views

Shari Lawrence

https://youtu.be/e4KyMrXgPXg

How far apart are the rungs in the instructional video? I tried to minimize the distance/keep only two rungs between hands and feet as instructed, but this created awkward shoulder mechanics/head into rails. Not sure if I should just keep 3 rails between or if I'm doing something wrong?

Pauline Taube

Hi Shari, 

It shows that the video in the link is unavailable, could you try again please? 

Shari Lawrence

It should work now. Thanks!

 

Everett Carroll

Hi Shari,

At first you may need to have more space between your hands and feet. The distance between your hands and feet depends on your hamstring mobility since the closer your hands and feet are, the deeper the stretch. If a certain spacing feels more than moderately uncomfortable then increase the distance between your hands and feet for now. It may take some time to build to two rungs apart but just stick with it! 

Shari Lawrence

Hmm...I actually don't feel like I'm getting a stretch from this exercise. It is more a problem with balance at the top if I hold the rung closer to my feet. I feel like I have to round my back and stoop to reach the bar or else my head will be in the way (can't just fold in half due to the bars/wall). If I walk my feet up to my hands instead, I can get two rungs apart. Any closer than that and I feel like I'm going to swing down and hit my tailbone on the low bar or lose my grip.  I might just be freaking myself out due to the wood floor below me. I self-recorded another try with grips on.  With two rungs between hands and feet I cannot come up quite as far to standing, but can still control the ascent. Is that ok?  I still don't feel a stretch, but it is working on my grip! I can easily reach 12-13 inches past my feet (legs straight)when at the bottom of a Jefferson curl.  Is it possible that I'm having trouble with this one due to the fact that my torso is longer than my legs? Thanks for your help!

 

Pauline Taube

Hi Shari,

Nice work. Try to keep a strong hollow and posterior tilt at the top of the movement. It's more important that you're able to control the ascent as your torso is longer compared to your legs. You don't need to get all the way up to standing, just make sure to keep your knees locked as you're already doing. This exercise is great to train grip strength :) 

 

Shari Lawrence

@Everett Carroll, @Pauline Taube Thank you both so much for your help! Yes, been working hard on actively doing posterior tilt, but don't think I'm really doing it during this exercise. Will work on it. I've spent a lifetime of anterior tilt when I stand, etc. Even when I have the strength to do a hollow body position, it is hard to maintain it and I have to really think about it because it doesn't come naturally.

Pauline Taube

Keep working on it, Shari. For most people it doesn't come naturally. 

Please keep us posted with another form check soon, your hamstring flexibility is good. I'm looking forward to see your progress :) 

Suzanna McGee

@Shari Lawrence, I have similar issues: a long torso compared to my legs. I love this stretch, but the closer my hands and feet get, the more awkward it is when standing up, but even worse.. my grip strength gives up really fast. 

Shari Lawrence

@Suzanna McGee Glad I'm not the only one! I have started to like this more and more. It is a good back stretch for me.

Tobias Åkeblom
On 2/24/2017 at 5:55 AM, Suzanna McGee said:

@Shari Lawrence, I have similar issues: a long torso compared to my legs. I love this stretch, but the closer my hands and feet get, the more awkward it is when standing up, but even worse.. my grip strength gives up really fast. 

+1 on that. And in combination with the negative leg lifts. It is a grip killer.