This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Lean Mass Gain while doing GB

Started by George Traganidas 235308, February 22, 2017 · 6 Replies · 358 Views

George Traganidas 235308

Hi,

I want to gain lean mass (and weight) while doing the GB courses. I have purchased Foundation, Stretches and Handstand series. Is this possible? In the past when I was doing weight lifting I was able to gain lean mass, because the lifting of heavy weight cause 'damage' to the muscles and then a moderate caloric surplus helped to repair the muscles and build lean mass. I am a bit confused on how this would work with the GB courses, because there is no heavy weights to lift and more than half the exercises are for muscle stretching and mobility than muscle 'damage'.

I would like to hear if people have done it and how they have done it. The diet I have been following for the past 3 years is to count the macros and prioritise Protein. Then I would go into a surplus or deficit of calories depending on my goal. I have been very successful with this diet to both gain weight and lose weight/fat.

Thanks,

George

Antonio Alías Montoya

GST first priority is not aesthetic, it s gymnastics strentgh, which mean strentgh, mobility and flexibility. Aesthetic will come but as a side effect. If you look at the GB athletes with some years of training you can certainly see they have a good amount of lean mass, but they are not huge like bodybuilders.

The issue is that in GST flexibility and mobility is as equal as important as strenght, so you train them togheter and progress on them togheter. All progression are well thought to gain a significant amount of mobility and strenght before movin on. Due to this approach, aestthetic might came later on the way. But in my opinion it s worth using your time in mobility and flexibility because your body will be really opened and prepared for later.

I don t think working on GST you can add a lot of mass in just one month, but very probably you ll see a great difference after completing F1, later after completing F2, F3 or F4. I was also quite focused on aesthetic before and GST changed my mind, thanks god. Now I decided to not to look at myself into the mirror until I complete F1, if that s a year or more fine.

With a bodybuilder approach you ll build lean mass fater at the beggining, but you ll be tight, inflexible, not strong for your body and bound to a life of injuries! Unless you are a bodybuilder who train mobility and flexibility then I shut my mouth!

Everett Carroll

Well said @Antonio Alías Montoya! You will gain mass, George, and your body composition will surely improve, but it may not be at the same rate as a bodybuilder. Just like Antonio said, the slower rate of hypertrophy can be viewed as a compromise for a healthier, more mobile, and injury resistant body. I have lost body fat and gained nearly 30 pounds since the Foundation Series was released in early 2013. 

The rate at which you build muscle will increase the further you get into the Foundation Series. I have seen athletes put on a fair amount of mass during Foundation One alone though. My advice is to focus on your progressions. The functional and aesthetic results will follow if you stick to the program and work hard at each session. 

George Traganidas 235308

Thanks guys. What you make makes sense. Following on from this, to avoid gaining weight that is mostly fat do you recommend that F1, HS1 and Stretch should be combined with an eating plan that is slightly above maintenance calories? Follow that for a year or more and that way you can get some lean mass? And then when you move on to F2 or F3 you can increase the calories, because the exercises are more demanding and involve more muscles?

I am totally with you on the health benefits and that is one of the big reasons that I switched from pure weight lifting to GS. I could feel myself grow but at the same time my mobility was getting worse and worse. But I still want it all :) Mobile body that is muscular with muscle definition.

George

Antonio Alías Montoya

Very few times I was counting the calories. I d say you should try to eat healthy and eat enough protein as something general. Usually when one trains feels hungrier so eat more when you need it. If you move to more demanding exercises your body will demand you more energy and you ll feel hungrier as well.

If you are interested in nutrition you can consider Thrive.

Dorian Brown

@George Traganidas 235308 You can still follow the typical bulk/ cut cycle while doing GST. For myself I'm currently cutting down to get to 8-10% bodyfat. Then I will eat a surplus till I get to 12% and go back on a cut to stay in a 10-12% range year round. I think if you're doing bodyweight training, being as lean as possible is beneficial because it will put less strain on your joints and tendons. However at the end of the day it really depends on your goals. If you want to get bigger then just go on a surplus. Resistance is resistance.

George Traganidas 235308

Thanks guys.