This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Rep notation including "@"

Started by Michael Stanwyck, February 21, 2017 · 2 Replies · 103 Views

Michael Stanwyck

Can someone remind me about the @ symbol in rep notation? I'm looking at Twisting Squats 5x5r@

Does that mean 5 reps each way?

Typically I've understood that if I am doing an exercise that reads 5x10 and I am changing direction, I am to do 10 reps, total. If something reads 5x5r and I am doing single side movements, it's 5 each side.

This doesn't seem like a single side movement, more like a changing sides movement. I want to do a back and forth as 1 rep, making 5 reps = 10 moves. Is that right? And if it is, should it be written as 5x10?

Everett Carroll

Hi Michael,

The "@" symbol designated per side or each direction. In this case, "@" means 5 twisting squats per direction for a total of 10 each set. Back and forth equals 2 reps. 

Michael Stanwyck

Thanks! Perfect. So it is treated as a single sided movement.