This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Normal Post-Stretch?

Started by Mimi Coker, February 21, 2017 · 11 Replies · 257 Views

Mimi Coker

I apologize if this question has already been addressed...

Is it normal to feel more stiff the day after doing one of the stretch workouts, than I did before doing the stretch workout? I did FS last night, and today I can barely touch my toes lol.

 

Thanks in advance,

Mimi

Pauline Taube

Hi Mimi,

Thanks for reaching out. It's completely normal to feel sore 1-2 days after doing the Stretch series. I reccomend to perform some daily limbering exercises on these days :) 

I think my calves were sore for almost a week after doing FS for the first time ;) 

Mimi Coker

Thank you, Pauline! Can you recommend what I should do for some daily limbering exercises? Would yoga be sufficient?

 

Thanks again,

Mimi

Everett Carroll

Hi Mimi,

The limber from Fundamentals is the best daily limber I know of. If you can, invest in that course and use the guided limber. You can also use some basic mobility exercises like those found in Foundation One and Handstand. Basically a daily limber should be very light, easy mobilizing. It shouldn't take more than 10 minutes and none of the positions should be pushed hard at all. 

Pauline Taube

I agree with Everett, the daily limber from Fundamentals can be done every day and is also great to use as a warmup routine. 

Otherwise yoga is fine, just make sure that you don't push too hard in hard in any positions, especially not when you're sore :) 

Please keep us updated on your flexibility, I'd love to follow your progress :) 

Mimi Coker

Thank you, Pauline and Everett.

Regarding flexibility...should I be doing daily stretching on my own, outside of the Stretch series 3x week? If so, will the daily limbering routine offer this, or is there some other format I should follow? I'm willing to do whatever I can to increase my overall flexibility as quickly as possible ( I realize it will take time, though). 

I will keep you updated on how things are going : ) 

Thanks again!

Pauline Taube

Always welcome, Mimi :) 

The Fundamentals course will give you one short lesson each day until the course is completed (4 weeks). In the end of the course all the movements will be put together into a daily limbering routine. In addition to this you can add a few of the stretches you are having trouble with from the series and perform them with less intensity. You can also do some of the mobility exercises from Foundations.

As Coach Sommer says: make haste slowly. 

It takes time and consistency to build both strength and flexibility. I'm looking forward to your updates :) please let us know if you have any other questions!

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Mimi, if your body it is so sore it is a normal central nervous system response, the eletric activity it is so high that if you want to recover properly you should let the body the time to do it.

John Conkle
On 2/22/2017 at 2:00 AM, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hi Mimi, if your body it is so sore it is a normal central nervous system response, the eletric activity it is so high that if you want to recover properly you should let the body the time to do it.

I completed my second week of FS stretch on Wednesday night.  Yesterday all day and this morning, perhaps similar to Mimi's experience, I felt less mobile.  I also slept probably 1-3 hours more than usual the day after (between a nap and a night's rest).  Don't recall this happening after the first week of FS.  This is exactly the opposite of MS and TB, where I feel more mobile then ext day.  

Chalk it up to CNS response and musculature/connective tissue adaptation, or did I work too hard?  

Thanks all.

Alessandro Mainente

Your brain it is working for adaptation and also the connective tissue. it is completely normal.

Charles Wessman

Hi guys,

this might be a silly question but along the lines of the post title; I just completed my first session of front split stretch, and what do I do now? Like after running or weight training I would normally stretch. But do I stretch after a stretch program? Is there something else that could be done, like a light jog? Any kind of "cool down" work? Or just finish the program and that's it? Thanks!

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Charles, simply rest. intense stretch needs the brain electric activity to be restored.