New Homemade Stall Bars

Started by Christopher Haddock, February 20, 2017 · 9 Replies · 3,164 Views

Christopher Haddock

My new homemade stall bars. The most expensive part was the custom made hickory dowels. The only mistake I made was drilling the holes in the sides for the dowels 1/2 inch deep instead of 1 inch.  However I glued and screwed them in and the hickory dowels are super tough so I'm hoping they will be okay.

IMG_20170219_144513497.jpg

Benjamin Renaud

Nice setup. Good choice the hickory, toughest wood out there.

Pauline Taube

Wow, Christopher! Great setup :D

Stephen Nevins

Wow!  Nice work?  How much did it cost overall? I might make one! 

Jeffrey Bittner

@Christopher Haddock Those look awesome! Thanks for sharing!

 

Suzanna McGee

Beauuuuutiful! You gonna love them! I have mine in my living room. The best piece of furniture  :-) 

Christopher Haddock

The total cost was about $400...which is considerably less than similar quality ones I saw on the Internet.  The biggest cost by far was the hickory dowels.  They were right at $300.  I bought them from Baird (see invoice attached).  Given my 1/2 inch hole for them in the side beams I'm glad I did!

 

Dowels.JPG

Leo Trinidad

Looks nice @Christopher Haddock, thanks for sharing :)

Benjamin Renaud

Wow, I was curious about the price of the dowels, having them custom made. Mine were stock from a supplier of turned wood products and came to about 4,50$ each + shipping, but they are in yellow birch.

 

Christopher Haddock

Yes, the hickory were more expensive than the other wood types.  I had them custom made.