This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Complementary maltese-assistance-like for pushups

Started by Xabier Errea Mayo, February 20, 2017 · 1 Replies · 68 Views

Xabier Errea Mayo

Hi,

Today while training the HBP PE2 at the end of my regular training I decided to add some extra work by adding some assistance exercises and I came up with the idea of using a variation of a typical maltese-assistance exercise I've seen some gymnasticbodies athletes perform, where you lay on hollowbody postition on a bench and do maltese movement with weights. In my variation rather than using the straight arm movement of the maltese you will mimic the bent arm strength pushup pattern with two dumbells...What do you think about this one? I kinda liked the idea...

Thanks and best regards,

Xabi

Everett Carroll

Hi Xabi,

I do not suggest focusing on maltese work at the Foundation One level. It is not necessary a possible route to injury. Wait until you begin advanced rings training after Foundations is complete to worry about these sorts of exercises. Working on some more difficult skills or movements after your daily workout is a perfectly fine practice however.

It can be fun and even productive to spend 5-10 minutes playing with slightly more advanced progressions from your Foundation Courses after your day's workout(s). More advanced mobility exercises are what I suggest during this time block over strength exercises. Also please note the word "playing" is not "training". It is easy to get carried away here but hold back and limit this period. Your focus should be your current Foundation workout and additional mobility.