This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Overworked deload week, should I just repeat?

Started by Robert Davis, February 20, 2017 · 6 Replies · 174 Views

Robert Davis

Hi All,

According to my schedule this past week was a deload week.  I was doing week 8 and 12 sets/reps (like 5 sets of 3, 9, and 18), but I got to go to the gym one day and got a little carried away doing gymnastics skills (I workout at home so I can play in the gym).  Anyway, my back and neck were a bit sore due to an over rotated landing on Floor, so I delayed a few exercises until Saturday.  However when I was doing jefferson curls Saturday (yesterday) I pulled a rib out of place.  I got to a chiropractor today and it's back in place, but I'm wondering how I should approach this week.  Should I just back up and redo the deload week?  Tomorrow is another stretch day, so by Tuesday I'm hoping the pain will be gone so I can do a full workout.  

Ok after reading this again I can hear coach Sommer in my head saying things like "Don't train an injury" and "There's no rush, just back off".  I guess I answered my own question, but does anyone else have a similar experience they can share so I don't feel alone in this?

Thanks,

Robert

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Robert Davis,

Yes you should extend deload week and also cut your weight in your jefferson curl to zero. If that is an injury, you wouldn't want to aggravate it. If by doing weightless jefferson curls and you still feel something bad then you have to stop training and rest for at least a week and have it checked with a medical professional. The worst thing that could happen is to get injured and be stopped at training. I hope this helps.

Robert Davis

Thanks Leo, I appreciate the confirmation.  I think I popped it back out yesterday while doing the middle split stretch series, so I'll go back to the chiropractor this morning and not workout at all for a day or two until it really feels better doing 'normal' activities.

Robert Davis

Ok my rib's back in place, I promise I will not even stretch today.  Maybe light stretching tomorrow, depending on what my body tells me. :)

Leo Trinidad

Keep us posted @Robert Davis, hopefully nothing serious

Robert Davis

Thanks @Leo Trinidad, I took a full day off and then began adding daily joint prep.  No workout this week but I did do a set of 10 J Curls with an empty bar (~2 lbs) a couple days, thanks for that idea.  I'm thinking I'll do a set of 10 every day and add just 5lbs per week.  At that rate I'll be back to 60lbs in a few months (which is what I was doing last week).

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Robert Davis, good idea but still feel it out. It maybe that + 5lbs per week is too much. You will know. Good luck and keep us posted.