This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HBP PE3

Started by Robert Lopez, February 19, 2017 · 18 Replies · 321 Views

Robert Lopez

4x10 today. How is my form? Am I okay progressing one step forward? It felt good.

 

Everett Carroll

Hi Robert,

It is actually going to be best to work on these tips, or possibly go back in steps, before advancing:

1. Your lower back is very arched. For the push-up variations you want strong PPT so glutes and core must be firmly engaged. It is worth posting HBP/PE1 and PE2 videos to ensure you mastered those with enough PPT. If you did not, it is worth re-mastering those progressions. 

2. Full ROM is chest to the floor. 

3. More lean is required here. Wrists must be below the ribs at minimum. 

4. More protraction is required at the top of each rep. Push your chest away from the floor at the top of each rep, spreading your shoulder blades apart. This is also most likely best corrected in the previous progressions. 

5. Your hips have a pike. Instead, you want to straighten your body. When the proper shape had been achieved, there should be a diagonal line from your shoulder blades to your heels. 

Robert Lopez
1 hour ago, Everett Carroll said:

Hi Robert,

It is actually going to be best to work on these tips, or possible go back in steps, before advancing:

1. Your lower back is very arched. For the push-up variations you want strong PPT so glutes and core must be firmly engaged. It is worth posting HBP/PE1 and PE2 videos to ensure you mastered those with enough PPT. If you did not, it is worth re-mastering those progressions. 

2. Full ROM is chest to the floor. 

3. More lean is required here. Wrists must be below the ribs at minimum. 

4. More protraction is required at the top of each rep. Push your chest away from the floor at the top of each rep, spreading your shoulder blades apart. This is also most likely best corrected in the previous progressions. 

5. Your hips have a pike. Instead, you want to straighten your body. When the proper shape had been achieved, there should be a diagonal line from your shoulder blades to your heels. 

Wow, it's a good thing I posted a form check. The reason I posted a form check was because I noticed my lower back was arching in my video. 

I will definitely go back and remaster HBP PE1 and PE2. I really need to start watching the form videos, as the follow along videos didnt really stress the importance of PPT. The only reason I noticed I may have been doing it wrong was after seeing the thumbnail image of the gymnast with strong PPT.

Thanks for the detailed feedback Everett. I will go back to the drawing board and post another form check here once I'm back to this progression!

Robert Lopez
2 hours ago, Everett Carroll said:

Hi Robert,

It is actually going to be best to work on these tips, or possible go back in steps, before advancing:

1. Your lower back is very arched. For the push-up variations you want strong PPT so glutes and core must be firmly engaged. It is worth posting HBP/PE1 and PE2 videos to ensure you mastered those with enough PPT. If you did not, it is worth re-mastering those progressions. 

2. Full ROM is chest to the floor. 

3. More lean is required here. Wrists must be below the ribs at minimum. 

4. More protraction is required at the top of each rep. Push your chest away from the floor at the top of each rep, spreading your shoulder blades apart. This is also most likely best corrected in the previous progressions. 

5. Your hips have a pike. Instead, you want to straighten your body. When the proper shape had been achieved, there should be a diagonal line from your shoulder blades to your heels. 

Wow, going back and reviewing the Course Library tips in PE1 and PE2, I have realized I completely missed the "do not sag" aka maintain strong PPT the entire time. I had been doing regular push ups. Keeping a tight core, but I can guarantee that I had a least a slight arch. Definitely will go back and remaster. I apologize for my ignorance. Embarrassing. 

Affan Osman

Your post will help others like me! So thanks for posting :)

Winter Phoenix

Hi Robert,

Everett has given you some excellent coaching here! :) 

Remember to straighten your arms during the execution of each repetition. Looking forward to seeing your updated videos of this progression.

 

Robert Lopez
On 2/19/2017 at 7:09 PM, Everett Carroll said:

Hi Robert,

It is actually going to be best to work on these tips, or possible go back in steps, before advancing:

1. Your lower back is very arched. For the push-up variations you want strong PPT so glutes and core must be firmly engaged. It is worth posting HBP/PE1 and PE2 videos to ensure you mastered those with enough PPT. If you did not, it is worth re-mastering those progressions. 

2. Full ROM is chest to the floor. 

3. More lean is required here. Wrists must be below the ribs at minimum. 

4. More protraction is required at the top of each rep. Push your chest away from the floor at the top of each rep, spreading your shoulder blades apart. This is also most likely best corrected in the previous progressions. 

5. Your hips have a pike. Instead, you want to straighten your body. When the proper shape had been achieved, there should be a diagonal line from your shoulder blades to your heels. 

Everette,

Please see my latest attempt:

I am still having a hard time maintaining PPT and still have a pike going on. I am having no problem squeezing my glutes, but when you say engage my core, I don't feel like removing the sag is as simple as flexing my abs. I almost feel like I need to try and maintain a stomach vaccum (sucking in) in order to keep decent PPT and to try and rid of my sag (which I can still see a slight arch/APT). 

Trust me when I say that strength is not an issue, and I know it has to be something with my form. My midsection is very strong.

Thanks for your help...

Suzanna McGee

Alessandro M always says that the thighs, hips, and chest should reach the ground at the same time (aka no pike, no swag)… 

Robert Lopez
55 minutes ago, Suzanna McGee said:

Alessandro M always says that the thighs, hips, and chest should reach the ground at the same time (aka no pike, no swag)… 

Lol, I understand. Now help me fix it. Lol

Suzanna McGee
2 hours ago, Robert Lopez said:

Lol, I understand. Now help me fix it. Lol

I did it in such way that I went really slowly down, in the way that I thought was the right posture. When I reached the floor, and I was not touching (gently) in these three locations, I readjusted my body to remember the position and held it for a while. Then push up. Then repeat. Until I was feeling more comfortable with what it means to do it right. I am still working on it, but that's the process how I try to fix my position when it is off. 

Winter Phoenix

Hi Robert,

An excellent way to understand the positioning for PPT is to look at Handstand 1 mobility exercises HS/PE9>iM 5x5r and HS/PE10>iM. I suggest trying out these exercises and please feel free to post a video for review.

Darin Phoenix

Hi Robert, 

Just wanted to give you some words of encouragement. The positioning for posterior pelvic tilt is something that is quite challenging to get used to particularly when you are coming from a more traditional weight training background. 

Your persistence and dedication along with your willingness to seek and take advice will eventually lead to you progressing with this.

Nice work.

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Robert Lopez, my tip for you when checking if you have correct PPT is to think about "lengthening" of the boy. Think that you are using your whole body as 1 unit that will descend at the same time. I hope this helps. Looking forward to see your progress.

Robert Lopez
On 2/25/2017 at 0:09 AM, Darin Phoenix said:

Hi Robert, 

Just wanted to give you some words of encouragement. The positioning for posterior pelvic tilt is something that is quite challenging to get used to particularly when you are coming from a more traditional weight training background. 

Your persistence and dedication along with your willingness to seek and take advice will eventually lead to you progressing with this.

Nice work.

Thanks Darin! Your motivating words will keep me pushing forward! I appreciate it!

Robert Lopez

3rd attempt! Getting better. Your comments/feedback much appreciated!

 

Ralph Palutke

I do not think it is correct to touch the ground with your chest at the bottom of each rep. Since we should remain protracted _all_ the time, it is simply not possible to touch the floor. Besides, if you look at coache's athlethe, he does not touch the floor either. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Antonio Alías Montoya

Hey Robert, you re still piking your hips, not straight body line. have you posted your mastery of HBP PE2? If not maybe there is missing point that is difficulting you this. What I do to keep the straight body line is first lying down touching with all my body the floor, so with PPT, hips on the grounds. Then I place my hands on the floor to push up and before do it I keep the tension and try to do go up with the same position (straight and PPT). Protact at the top and when you go down you should touch the floor with all your body at the same time, like one table falling down. keep core and glutes engaged.

Everett Carroll

Hi Robert,

Can I see your HBP/PE1 and PE2 form?

On 3/6/2017 at 4:24 AM, Ralph Palutke said:

it is simply not possible to touch the floor.

You want to touch your chest to the floor each rep. Antonio gave excellent advice above. 

Greg White

Trying to learn basic positioning on a harder exercises like this will just slow your progress.

Incline Push Ups are there to enable you to be comfortable with getting a feel for the PPT, bodyline, protraction without having to use all your energy on the strength aspect. GB is definitely a case of the tortoise and the hare.

BTW i was doing normal push-ups for months before i understood that I wasn't doing GB push-ups. Doh! Lots of us have made similar mistakes. :huh: