This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS1 needed?

Started by Stephan Ralescu, February 19, 2017 · 5 Replies · 182 Views

Stephan Ralescu

Hello!

I have H1.  However, I can already straddle press and bent knee/tuck press into a handstand.  I can also hold a handstand for about 1:20 seconds. 

However, there is no way that I can do some of the wrist/finger tip pushups.  I *think* I can do all of the mobility however.

Should I stop practicing my handstand and just follow the program, should I keep practising my handstands (I do 3-5 press handstands before any kind of physical workout to get me in the zone), or should I forget H1, get H2 and begin developing the straight leg press?  I have all stretch courses. 

Thank you!

Everett Carroll

Hi Stephan,

Continue to work through your handstand workouts like normal. If you'd like more of a challenge, add in Handstand Two but don't swap H1 for H2. Those two courses are designed to be trained alongside each other and integrate seamlessly into one workout. Adding in H2 will compliment your handstand training nicely and certainly make the workout more challenging.  

Even though you have a free handstand, you want to ensure both your strength and mobility along the way are adequate. This is going to prevent roadblocks, plateaus, and even injury down the line. I can guarantee your handstand line will improve as will your press handstand if you simply stick to the workout programming.

Using the smiley faces, you can work through each progression in as little as four workouts. If your strength and mobility are adequate at each step and this is what happens, you will find a challenging progression in no time. After the workouts, feel free to work on your handstand further but prioritize the handstand workout each day.

Dorian Brown

I'd do hs1 just for the wrist benefits alone. I'm a programmer and designer by trade so I work at a computer probably over 12 hours a day but since doing GST I  haven't had any wrist problems or finger pains. Who doesn't want superhuman wrists and fingers. 

Alessandro Mainente

HI Stephan can I see your handstand and press to handstand variation that you cited?

Stephan Ralescu

@Everett Carroll - will do, but now at the end of F1, instead of before it

@Dorian Brown - I totally blew out my wrist 3 years ago.  At the time, I couldn't put any pressure on it.  I couldn't bend it backward without pain.  I stopped all flat presses, did pushups on fists and the back of my hands, and started doing every wrists stretch every day.  I was told by a former Olympic gymnast that once the wrist injury happens its really tough to have it ever go away. Well, mine is pretty much gone - as long as I take the time to stretch them out.  

@Alessandro Mainente - Absolutely.  I'll share a form check video this weekend (straddle press and tuck press [bent knees]).

Thanks for responding, everyone.  

Stephan Ralescu

@Alessandro Mainente