This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Shoulder Taps

Started by Brendon Ferullo, February 19, 2017 · 6 Replies · 124 Views

Brendon Ferullo

Hi,

I've been working on your program for about 3 months now.  I do the Front Split, Middle Split, and Thoracic Bridge series in addition to Foundations.  My question is regarding the hip taps/shoulder taps exercise in the Bridge Series.  I can't even do shoulder taps at this time.  Every time I consider lifting an arm while in this position, I can just feel the pressure on my wrist on the planted arm.  I can't tell if this means I am not in a good position or if I am just not yet strong enough.  Maybe I need to just do some additional wrist exercises?  Anyways, just wanted to know if this were normal or not.

 

Thank you in advance.

 

Brendon

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Brendon can you post a video of your attempot please? I need to check some detail. I would see the execution from the side and from the front.

Suzanna McGee

I felt like that too in the beginning. When I improved the mobility of my shoulders (flexion especially) and when my wrists got stronger and flexible, it all slowly started to get together. Until then, I was just doing what I was able to: the standing version, or then when back on the floor, instead of hip taps I was just transferring the weight from one arm to another to get used to it… Post a video and the coaches will give you your personal suggestion. 

Alessandro Mainente

Shoulder taps it is not a matter of high level of wrists mobility. the movemetn must be performed int he elevated brisge position. when the elevated position it is achieved the chest must be over the hands, this means that the weight it is perceived on the palms with a little reduction of the wrists extension. too much pressure on wrists means actually that the beginning position it is not correct.

Christopher Denzer

Suzanna:

On 2/19/2017 at 11:37 AM, Suzanna McGee said:

I felt like that too in the beginning. When I improved the mobility of my shoulders (flexion especially) and when my wrists got stronger and flexible, it all slowly started to get together. Until then, I was just doing what I was able to: the standing version, or then when back on the floor, instead of hip taps I was just transferring the weight from one arm to another to get used to it… Post a video and the coaches will give you your personal suggestion. 

I'm not sure what you meant by "the standing version." I'm totally stuck on hip taps. Even from the floor, I cannot hold myself upon one arm for long enough to perform the movement. I've read about modifications such as banded assistance, but that's not an option for me. Do you have any suggestions on how to scale this move?

Leonhard Krahé

Do a partial bridge wall walk and do some hip taps from there.

Suzanna McGee
On February 21, 2017 at 0:48 PM, Leonhard Krahé said:

Do a partial bridge wall walk and do some hip taps from there.

@Christopher Denzer, yes this is it. It the video library, you have the scaled version of the bridge, for people who cannot do it on the floor. They can do it standing, leaning back on the wall. As deep as you can. Hip tap in that position.