This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Content

Started by Christopher Hancox, February 19, 2017 · 5 Replies · 232 Views

Christopher Hancox

Hi,

I have recently started the foundation 1 course and have had a good look around the site at all the different programmes and information available. I am however struggling to find some more in depth detail as to the reasons behind the different exercises, I.e which muscle groups each exercise is targeting, how this will improve mobility down the line etc. Just kind of seems like I'm blindly following without an explanation. Anyone involved in fitness should know that perfect form and sensible progressions in rep ranges and exercises is a must, but this is all the detail I can find. Am I missing something? Paying $195 for a series of individual exercises in short uninformative videos seems a little steep. 

I am also disappointed in the awkward system used to name exercises. It makes it v.difficult to identify where in the program you are, and referencing any exercises in forum discussions. Why not call and list the exercises and programmes by their actual names instead of PE3....... or whatever they are. Progression 3 Paralell bar dips would do. Seems learning the coded system is the first thing to do before any sort of exercise.

I was considering buying the stretch courses but am now concerned that they too may lack information on why the routines are being done, and so awkward to follow. 

Please enlighten me.

Chris

Alessandro Mainente

HI Christopher, the intention of the video course it is to be a clear GUIDELINE.

All the deep informations you are asking for are usually and completely covered in the private forum posts.

the amount of imformation it is so big that it is not possible to make a course page that contains all of them.

Coach Sommer

Hello Chris,

LOL.  

Yes, at this point you are blindly following because you lack the proper GST background and experience to be able to effectively evaluate what is beneficial for you and what is not.

Yes, at this point you are confused because you have been randomly browsing rather than implementing.

The separate technical videos already provided for every single exercise and mobility will address most of your basic questions.  They are clearly marked as "technical videos".  ;)

Understanding of the program's depth and complexity will come with time.  For now it is sufficient that you simply get started.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Christopher Hancox

Thanks for your responses. I thought it may be my short amount of time having access to the content that maked it difficult to find the information I expected and understand the setup. I am slowly learning that the whole GST setup if very different to conventional amateur gung-ho style training and is more like being in a structured gymnastics class where you ask questions and chat to get the more advanced answers and details.

 It certainly inspires confidence in the courses and the forum. I will definately be purchasing the stretch series as I'm pretty sure that's where I am severely lacking. I look forward to the slow and steady progress.

 

Chris

 

Dorian Brown

As someone who purchased the F1-F4 bundle way back when it was available I'd say each element is a building block to the Foundational movements we are trying to achieve at the end of the program. If you don't have the whole program I can understand how it might seem like the exercises are somewhat random but trust me there is a well thought out plan in place. The PE/IM naming system is in place because it makes it a bit easier to search and once you get the vocab easier to type/ remember as some exercise names get fairly long, ex. HBP/PE2 is easier to remember than Xiaopeng Forward.

      From my impression F1 is mostly about building mobility and work capacity. Without going into too much detail, F2 seems a bit more strength focused and starting to get into specific mobility to hit the final progressions, F3 you start scaled down versions of the final positions and by then end of F4 you should have mastered the 7 skills and then you can start looking at starting real ring work. Also checkout the blog in the articles section for details on specific exercises and why we do them.

Embrace the slow and steady progress, you will be better for it in the long run. It took me a while but there is no cheating the system. If you cannot do a lower PE/IM you will hit a plateau fairly quickly and  if you try to skip ahead; eventually your deficiencies will catch up to you.

Antonio Alías Montoya
On 19/2/2017 at 5:40 PM, Christopher Hancox said:

Thanks for your responses. I thought it may be my short amount of time having access to the content that maked it difficult to find the information I expected and understand the setup. I am slowly learning that the whole GST setup if very different to conventional amateur gung-ho style training and is more like being in a structured gymnastics class where you ask questions and chat to get the more advanced answers and details.

 It certainly inspires confidence in the courses and the forum. I will definately be purchasing the stretch series as I'm pretty sure that's where I am severely lacking. I look forward to the slow and steady progress.

 

Chris

 

You got it! Read a lot, ask and never suposse you are doing everything right, more offently it s the opossite in some of us.