This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Supine Flare hip clicking

Started by Jacob Primeaux, February 17, 2017 · 18 Replies · 357 Views

Jacob Primeaux

Like the title says, when I do supine flares (and basically any other movement under load where I'm creasing/uncreasing at the hips) I get a lot of snapping and grinding and popping. It's kinda a general, universal popping, doesn't seem like it comes from one particular place, but it feels like something is sliding (gracelessly) over the front of the illiacal crest(?).  It doesn't hurt, but I'd rather not tempt fate. Is the solution to treat it like mobility and just lessen the ROM, or are there any other suggestions for this kind of thing. So far physios have just been like "don't do that."

Everett Carroll

Hey Jacob,

Reduce ROM. It is normal to experience a small amount of this but don't push it. Also try elevating your butt 15-20cm. Over time you should experience less and less popping/grinding. @Alessandro Mainente do you have any other suggestions for this? 

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Jacob do you feel pain? how much developed it is you middle split? how much your front split?

Jacob Primeaux

Thank you very much for the speedy replies.

No, Alessandro, there is no pain, at least not yet.

Neither my middle nor front split are well developed yet. I'm new to stretching this way. That said, the popping does also occur when I do hanging leg lifts, particularly on the way down. I had not thought of it, but there is also some popping on 'swivel hips' during the inward rotation, unless I am very, very observant in actively rotating. But this occurs around the greater trochanter rather than toward the front of the hip, but maybe its related.

Alessandro Mainente

Well Jacop, the pop could a very tight psoas and simply tissue adhesion. my question about the front split has the exactly goal of having some more information more about your hips mobility.

Jacob Primeaux

So you think this may resolve as I continue to work on my front splits?

Alessandro Mainente

It can be a possibility, but you still saying nothing to me about your front split progress.

Jacob Primeaux

I've also not been doing the front split series very long, so I haven't made much progress yet. Is there a particular stretch you want more detail on? Maybe most relevant is that in my vertical lunges, my heel is still very close to my buttocks. Though also in any straight leg stretch, I am more likely to feel a stretch behind my knee or sometimes even beside the knee (I think at that end of the IT band), rather than on the hamstring.

Alessandro Mainente

Definitely the FSSSE21 for left and right leg . all the major bu.artiucular hips flexor ans also the mono-artcular it is stretched. 

Malcolm Watters

I get the same popping in the flares. It's not painful.  I am also very early in my middle splits and front split series.  

Benjamin Renaud

I also get the same thing on flares, also on one side when I lower leg from tuck-ups or v-ups. No pain either. I thought it was just a tight hip capsule or tight ligaments getting pulled on going "shtong" or "shtock".

Jacob Primeaux

Yes, exactly, also on tuck-ups and v-ups. But which is it, Shtong or Shtock?

Thanks Alessandro. I'll spend more time in that position. Would you suggest visiting that stretch over the course of the weak rather than just on my front split stretch day? What dosage?

 

Alessandro Mainente

Yes, a couple of sets of long holds. no more.

Jacob Primeaux

Thanks a ton. I'll let you know how it goes.

Justin Brandt

I experience the same snapping on this exercise. Feels like connective tissue slipping over some process in the hip. The final pop occurs only when I bring my sweeping leg into a full hover. I'll follow the advice laid out above. This is the only exercise I've experienced problems with.

Pauline Taube

Hi Justin,

Does the pop still occur when reducing the ROM? As Alessandro mentioned you could try add the FSSSE20-21 a couple times a week. However if the pop is painful I'd recommend to get an assessment from a medical professional. 

Justin Brandt

Yes. It still occurs with reduced ROM; even if I make very small circles. It does not hurt. It feels like a grinding from tendons slipping over an area on the hips. I'll look into FSSSE20-21, and if it continues I'll go for an assessment. I'm surprised this isn't a well-known result of this exercise. It seems to me it would be more common than not. I'm an very healthy and athletic person--185 lbs with 8% bodyfat and great flexibility from years of yoga.

Justin Brandt

How can I look up FSSSE20-21? I can't find a way to bring up this specific exercise on my dashboard. Is there a comprehensive resource for all movements?

Luke Searra

Justin after you log in, run your mouse over FITNESS, COURSE LIBRARY, at the bottom of the page you will see DISCOVER COURSE CONTENT. Click on Stretch, Stretch Series - Front Split,  Stretch Series - Front Split - and you will be provided with the front splits movement library FSSSE1 Exercise Video to FSSSE24 Exercise Videos.