This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HBP-PE2 Form Check

Started by Josh Shaw, February 17, 2017 · 11 Replies · 203 Views

Josh Shaw

I had rushed through these and moved on to PE3 without doing any form checks, but I struggled with PE3, so I decided to go back and spend some more time on these.  Thanks in advance for any feedback.

 

 

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Josh,

Good decision taking some time to refine this exercise. As you do your push-ups you are picking up some pike in the hips. Squeeze your gluts and drop your hips towards the floor to help keep PPT. I would also like to see more protraction at the top of your push-ups. Remember that protraction and hollow are too different things. You are slightly too hollowed. Keep working on flattening out the mid and lower back while simultaneously moving the scapula laterally (protraction).

It is difficult to see your iM because of the frame, but it looks like you are lacking some rotation in the shoulder as you do this movement. After lifting the arm to your ear in shoulder extension, push tall through the shoulder and rotate the joint into shoulder flexion before lowering the arm in shoulder flexion.

Keep working hard!

Alessandro Mainente

NIce suggestions by Jeff,

the basic idea of the exercise it is to think about having a wall to the side, you do not have to scratch the weight on the wall but also you do not have to move too much the dumbell away from it (something that currently you are doing, see the second rep, the first it is ok).

Josh Shaw

I've been working on this a bit longer.  I think the PE is improved, but I'm honestly not sure what exactly I should be doing on the iM.  I took two different videos on the iM, are either of those right?  Thanks.

 

 

Alessandro Mainente

Too funny, nice improvements, I like your push up!

Ryan Reynolds

Nice work I'm not sure how you stayed focused on your pushup with that much cuteness going on around you. 

On the IM a cue that helped me: get your shoulder up to our ear and then try to keep it brushing your ear as your arm rotates around to the back.  I think that is also what Jeffrey was explaining on your last video.

Josh Shaw

Thanks for the feedback.  Is this better on the iM?

 

 

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Josh,

Nice improvement. It looks pretty good. You are picking up a small amount of arch. Squeeze your stomach to keep your ribs pulled in.

Marcus Patterson

I was watching this and I am not sure but it looks like you start with your hands too far forward in the pushup , like they are under your chin instead of inline with the chest, what do you think @Everett Carroll ? Maybe also try keeping looking at the floor with your head in ling with your spine rather than looking up.

Everett Carroll

@Marcus Patterson It looks fine. Shoulders stacked directly over wrists is what you want here. 

Marcus Patterson
11 minutes ago, Everett Carroll said:

@Marcus Patterson It looks fine. Shoulders stacked directly over wrists is what you want here. 

I always start with the hands in line with the chest, is this incorrect?

Everett Carroll

Hi Marcus,

Seeking vertical arms in the top support of HBP/PE2 is what I prefer to dictate hand position.