This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

cholesterol levels: total vs LDL vs HDL

Started by Alessandro Di Sanzo, February 17, 2017 · 4 Replies · 158 Views

Alessandro Di Sanzo

Hello guys!

Since that during this year my diet progressively changed a lot, just by curiosity a couple of months ago I did blood chemistry exams. Looking at the results I saw a level of total cholesterol a bit higher of the reference range.

in details:

Cholesterol total: 222 mg/dl [140 - 210]

BUT Also I saw:

HDL levels : 94 mg/dl [> 30]

LDL levels: 121 mg/dl [up to 150]

Triglycerides: 51 mg/dl [40 - 160]

 My physician said me I should not worry about the level of cholesterol total, since that the HDL is high.

Considering this, now I only wonder if I should even do something in order to lower that level of total cholesterol. Maybe adding or dropping some kind of foods from my diet... 

What do you think??

Alessandro

 

Ryan Bailey

Nice HDL!

Regarding total - C (Imagine if HDL was 70, which of course you wouldn't want lower, still really good, total would be lower, but that is not necessary as again, HDL is so good).

Your physician is smart looking at the big picture, especially since you are in such good shape and have a nice HDL to Tri ratio, (worth researching that ratio for possible indication of good small LDL particle size) which is desirable and indicates the type of "good or bad" ldl size.

 

 

Alessandro Di Sanzo

Good to know that, @Ryan Bailey. Thank you! Anyway, I think I will perform new exams later in the future. It is mainly to check my anemia (I have favism) but I would like to check if other parameters will change during the next months.

Thanks again!

Alessandro 

 

Jeff Serven

Ryan is on point as usual. 

Adrian Theopold

Very interesting topic!

I too got my blood checked recently and have the same "issue" with high cholesterol level. My values read:

HDL: 100 mg/dl

LDL: 209 mg/dl

Triglyercides: 66 mg/dl

would this still be okay?

My physician says that overall level is too high in any case, even though HDL is very good. I think the last blood test I ran was about 2-3 years ago and cholesterol was pretty normal at that time, so I think the reason could be the changes I made during thrive towards my nutrition (MORE EGS! :)). My doc also ranted about me having 3-4 eggs in the morning which is in his opinion way too much, so he proposed to drop them for a while to two per week, which seems rather absurd to me (atleast no my favourite option).

Really would appreciate your point of view here.Thanks,

Adrian