This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

New to Thrive questions

Started by Shari Lawrence, February 17, 2017 · 7 Replies · 133 Views

Shari Lawrence

Hi. I am new to Thrive and I guess I am looking for affirmation that I have come to the right place.  I am very happy that the program advocates for lifelong habits and real food, not a quick "diet."  I have friends with eating disorders and have seen how miserable that can be and I have always associated "disciplined eating" with something unhealthy--until I think back on my childhood and remember wholesome meals, very few if any desserts, all whole grains, lean meat, whole milk, veggies. Soda on your birthday or once a month at a restaurant, otherwise milk or water.  Snacks if you were hungry, but not to replace meals. The food was delicious! As an adult I have strayed away from that over the decades, and have gotten very lax about shopping, cooking. There is little to no planning and I often settle for eating something I don't necessarily really want, but it is the best thing available. I think that the quality of what I eat is mostly good, but the proportions are off. Way too much fat, not nearly enough veggies, not enough quality protein, probably a bad fat/carb combo and at the wrong times of the day. Hoping this program will help me get my proportions and timing consistently right, without obsessively measuring/weighing my food?

I believe in the importance of enjoying food and not having guilt about it. However, after a period of high stress, poor eating and lack of exercise I gained about an inch and a half around my middle, which has stayed there for the last 10 years despite a high activity level. I know this isn't a "fat loss program", but I am hoping that this will be the key to losing the pudge in a healthy way that doesn't mess up my metabolism, make me hangry/bitchy or poorly affect my workouts. In fact, I'm hoping that this program will help me ensure optimal energy for my workouts (which are always in the evening, if that matters). This is the only program I have even considered trying because it seems logical, reasonable, healthy and not about deprivation.

So far the water and the healthy fats for breakfast are things I've been doing for a long time, so I'm hoping the program has some new habits for me that will help me reach my goals.  I'm a big fan of full-fat dairy (and probably eat way too much of it in a day) and glad that this program recognizes the health benefits.

I eat a lot (the one and only time I calculated calories in a typical day it was around 3500 and I'm 5'8", 160 pounds). I am 42 years old, very active, having a non-sedentary job, working out 5-7 days a week (typically 3 days of adult gymnastics class/open gym, 1 day of racquetball, 1 day of Foundation) and alternating other fun sports activities on "off" days. My weight, size and body fat seems to be very stable and I've been eating whatever I want, whenever I want (with the exception of caving in to cheese + carbs when what I really want is meat and veggies that haven't been purchased or cooked). I want to do what will be effective, i.e. not overeat, but am concerned that I get enough fuel (as well as the right kind).  Does Thrive allow for increased portion size/calorie intake? I seriously don't think I can live on a "typical" calorie intake for a woman my size.  I also want to have a couple of beers on the weekend--with nachos!  Can this be part of my Sunday "off" day? I am not in a huge hurry (been this way for 10 years) but would help my motivation to see at least some results in the near future.  Am I right to assume that with before and after photos, that I can expect to see some kind of visible progress by the end of the 10 weeks?

Everett Carroll

Hi Shari, 

First off, welcome to GB and Thrive!

11 minutes ago, Shari Lawrence said:

Hoping this program will help me get my proportions and timing consistently right, without obsessively measuring/weighing my food?

Thrive will certainly help you with these aspects over the weeks. I don't want to give too much away but basic portion sizes come into the course later on and are easily measured. You have lots of flexibility as far as timing goes at this stage. 

 

14 minutes ago, Shari Lawrence said:

Does Thrive allow for increased portion size/calorie intake?

Portion sizes are manipulated later into the course. The ranges provided should easily allow you to continue fitting in plenty of calories. 

 

17 minutes ago, Shari Lawrence said:

Am I right to assume that with before and after photos, that I can expect to see some kind of visible progress by the end of the 10 weeks?

As long as you stick to the tasks each day, I have no doubt! Please keep us posted. Can't wait to see the before and after Shari!

Shari Lawrence

Thanks! Looking forward to this.

Ryan Bailey

Hi Shari,

Yes. I think you have come to the right place. Your comment and belief about "enjoying food" should fit in nicely with this "pro-food" program with many diverse options for your daily fuel.

Hope you enjoy it!

Ryan

Shari Lawrence

That is what I like to hear! 

Jeff Serven

I think we can dial in the "proportions and timing" all the while keeping the Sunday nacho and beer. 

Shari Lawrence

Awesome!  And just to clarify...fried pickles are a vegetable, right? ;-)

 

Everett Carroll

Haha! Barely Shari ;)