This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Pain and Schedule

Started by Darren Rousar, February 16, 2017 · 5 Replies · 101 Views

Darren Rousar

I'm doing F1 and the three Stretch series. At present my schedule is set to the following:

Mon - F1 Core
Tues - Middle Split
Wed - F1 Lower
Thur - Front Split
Fri - F1 Upper
Sat - Thoracic Bridge
Ignoring my earlier thread about a foot injury, I would normally do a 4 mile run, three times per week.

I notice that on Wednesdays my legs are still sore from Tuesday's Middle Split work.
Then, Wednesday's F1 Lower keeps the soreness going (or even ramps it up).
Thursday's Front Split continues this.
If I skip the running the soreness pretty much goes away by the following Tuesday's Middle Split.
If I keep running the soreness, at varying degrees of intensity, remains throughout the week(s).

So, is this duration of soreness to be expected? Or is this something my body will eventually get over?
Should I maybe flip Front Spilt and Thoracic Bridge?
Maybe target my runs to correspond to the F1 Core, Thoracic, and Sundays?

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Darren Rousar,

A good call is to switch Front Split and Thoracic Bridge. Your body does not recover that much from your current schedule. Make some adjustments and see how it goes. You can always go back to your previous schedule once your body adapts to it. I hope this helps. 

Never train through pain.

Everett Carroll

Hi Darren,

Also try reducing the intensity of your stretch sessions. If stretching is making you too sore to stick with your schedule then reduce how hard you push your stretches. I always suggest keeping them below half of your maximum effort. Coach often says that these sessions should just be a matter of showing up. Progress here should be measured very slowly so you avoid injury and are able to keep up with your regular training schedule. 

Darren Rousar
2 hours ago, Everett Carroll said:

I always suggest keeping them below half of your maximum effort.

That's interesting. I've been giving them my all!

Everett Carroll

Glad we got to the bottom of the issue Darren. Let's change only one variable so keep your schedule as is and only reduce the intensity of the stretches. Let us know how that goes!

Leo Trinidad

I agree with Everett. Maybe you are pushing yourself too much. Make the necessary adjustments first and see how it goes.