Open Planche Form Check

Started by Christopher Bassett, February 16, 2017 · 23 Replies · 3,659 Views

Christopher Bassett

Hello

Please can I have some feedback regarding my open planche work. I am following SSC principles doing 4 sets of 7 seconds.
I am focusing on protracting the scaps as much as possible. Hopefully I am on the right track but rather check than move forward incorrectly :)

https://vid.me/kSyi

Alessandro Mainente

Hips are too high, legs too closed.

Christopher Bassett

Hi Alessandro, I am not sure why I raise my hips so high..is this generally a sign of shoulder weakness?

Alessandro Mainente

It can be 2 things:

-shoulder weakness 

-wrong technique, the coordination and the correct sensation of being able to lift the hips up to the correct position must be learned correctly in the previous stage.

Christopher Bassett

I might have been holding my hips too high when I was working tuck planche. I will go back and test if I have level hips on the tuck planche for 60 seconds. Thanks Alessandro

Leo Trinidad

I would also want to add that there is not much of a lean. Best thing to do is to scale down and have your form checked. :)

Christopher Bassett
59 minutes ago, Leo Trinidad said:

I would also want to add that there is not much of a lean. Best thing to do is to scale down and have your form checked. :)

Hi Leo, I will post a tuck planche video :)

Mats Trane

Prioritize lean while being protracted. 

When in Planche lean you should feel like your feet almost lift/unweight from the floor. I used to do the same as you but I did no progress and waisted a lot of time.

Christopher Bassett
33 minutes ago, Mats Trane said:

Prioritize lean while being protracted. 

When in Planche lean you should feel like your feet almost lift/unweight from the floor. I used to do the same as you but I did no progress and waisted a lot of time.

Hi Mats, yup I am nowhere near that on planche leans unfortunately :( I have made them more of a priority since I was told they should be but not enough it seems! I also keep leaning forward more and forget to build up time in each place of the planche lean cause I'm being impatient :-/

Luke Searra

@Christopher Bassett I would be interested to hear in more detail about how you are using Stretch Shortening Cycles for sure

Christopher Bassett
3 hours ago, Luke Searra said:

@Christopher Bassett I would be interested to hear in more detail about how you are using Stretch Shortening Cycles for sure

Hi Luke, isnt it steady state cycles? I test my max hold time and divide the number by 2 and perform that half time number for 4 sets. I retest my max every 8 weeks until I hit the target time of that exercise like tuck planche 60 sec hold.

 

Leo Trinidad

I would highly suggest that you utilize GymnasticBodies Foundation Courses to balance out your training. Building a strong foundation will make those open tuck planche easier. :)

Christopher Bassett
3 hours ago, Leo Trinidad said:

I would highly suggest that you utilize GymnasticBodies Foundation Courses to balance out your training. Building a strong foundation will make those open tuck planche easier. :)

I plan to purchase it in the future but a baby and a high exchange rate is holding me back for now :( 

Tanya Hill

A good Birthday gift and or Christmas gift. Totally worth the investment. ;)

Luke Searra

Christopher even if you purchase it course by course you will have lifetime access and video/forum support from our coaches. It is easily worth the investment.

Christopher Bassett

Here is my tuck planche work. If that is wrong then its affecting the open planche. I drop in the video because I looked in the mirror and that throws off my balance but I find holding it easy. Believe me guys you are preaching to the choir :) I will buy one course at a time as soon as I can.

https://vid.me/ym1s

Alessandro Mainente

Hips are still a bit higher of the the normal execution, also if you cannot hold it for 30 seconds multiple sets I cannot consider the exercise "easy" for you.

Christopher Bassett

Okay still abit high I will work on that. Before I moved onto open planche I did a 60 sec hold but I have not tried multiple sets of 30 which might be tough! Gonna stick with tuck planche then until hips are lower and multiple sets of 30 is possible. thanks Alessandro

Leo Trinidad

I completely understand @Christopher Bassett but I think your currency is definitely higher than the Philippine Peso :P:lol:

Christopher Bassett

@Leo Trinidad I googled and yes the South African Rand is higher than yours haha :P Still I am saving up and will buy very soon :)

Leo Trinidad

Hahahaha @Christopher Bassett, I remember I had to borrow money to buy the Foundation Series and Handstand One :D:lol: Looking forward to see more of your progress. :) 

Christopher Bassett

@Leo Trinidad Haha I actually think that is a good idea so I am going to try and make a plan :) Will definitely keep posting thank you so much for your support!

Winter Phoenix

Lifetime access, online support and individualised coaching on your video reviews is definitely worth the investment. 

There really is nothing else like GB on the market - look forward to having you part of the community!

Christopher Bassett

@Winter Phoenix Thank you Winter, cant wait to join :)