This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Ground Rows (and equipment) while traveling

Started by Jonathan Berman, February 16, 2017 · 6 Replies · 142 Views

Jonathan Berman

I travel quite a bit, in fact most of the time, and recently have found myself in an extended stay hotel with a gym that does not have a pull-up bar from which to hang my rings.  Using the rings along with the Lifeline Power Chin Up, I have fashioned the following.

The problem with this set-up lies in its unavoidable contact with the door, and therefore my inability to avoid mashing my head against it during the row, unless I crane my neck forward, also with the help of pulling my body forward with my heels by bending at the knees.  Even then there is foot slippage and I have to re-adust my feet every  couple of reps, trying to stretch out farther.  Not sure if this combination makes the exercise easier or harder, but it surely is not as the movement was designed.  

I realize I could lengthen the straps on the rings, and turn and face the door, but then given the change of arms to torso positioning, the exercise will differ.  

Any thoughts or suggestions are most welcome.  Thanks very much.

IMG_4635.jpeg

Everett Carroll

This is a tough one Jonathan! Try to find a tree or beam outside to set these up on or return to lower than 45 degree incline rows until you can return to training a normal ground row. The extended strap option would put your hands too low and the constant adjustment/neck strain of the shown setup doesn't seem worth it. Just find a challenging incline below what you mastered them at for now if you choose that option. I hope this helps. 

Bas Albinus

If you're lucky you might be able to hang the rings from a bar inside a closet or a shower door...as long as those are sturdy enough.
You could get yourself a pull up bar for doorways to take on your travels. 
 

adjustable-pull-up-bar.jpg

Pauline Taube

Hi Jonathan, 

I travel a lot myself and sometimes it can be tricky finding somewhere to hang the rings if you're not outside. 

If you're lucky enough to find a sturdy bar in the closet that's a great option! If not Bas' suggestion could be worth considering :) please let us know how you go!

IMG_1125.JPG

Jonathan Berman

Thanks everyone for the prompt responses!  Previously, I had given some thought to getting a pull-up bar as Bas suggests.  This one seems good:

https://www.topfitnessmag.com/pull-up-bar/big-mikes-fitness-deluxe-doorway-pull-up-bar-review/

Trying to work with the pre-installed supports in these sorts of extended-stays' closets, etc. has not yielded salubrious results!  Thus far, I have hesitated on the expanding pull-up bars due to similar concerns with regard to their door frames, but at this point I can see no other option. There is nothing outside that really fits the bill, either, as far as the rings are concerned.

Everett, just to clarify for myself, when you state “return to lower than 45 degree incline rows until can can return to training a normal ground row”, are you referring to the set-up as I currently have it (btw, I note you are in Flagstaff; I am currently in Phoenix for the next couple of months)?  If that is the case, and I am willing to put up with the constant adjustment and neck strain (if the extended bar solution above does not work), as per GB protocol would it be permissible to continue in that vein?  I ask because I really am on the road ALOT, and must learn to adapt to often changing circumstances with limited options.  It is possible that I won't have access to a normal ground row training situation for many, many months to come, if that.

Thanks again so much for your responses everyone!  Greatly appreciated.

 

 

 

Everett Carroll

Hey Jonathan,

For the time being, if you can't find a ground row setup, you can turn and perform rows facing the door. This should allow you to perform an incline row. I am just suggesting that one option could be to temporarily return to PE1 and train incline rows at a lower height than the height you previously mastered them at. This will be a slightly harder variation of PE1 and likely a more comfortable option. 

Jonathan Berman

Got it.  Thanks very much, Everett.