This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Nailed it!

Started by Paul Wallbridge, February 15, 2017 · 5 Replies · 263 Views

Paul Wallbridge

I've been doing the GB Foundations One course pretty solidly since late Sept (even if I don't click a smiley face every time I do it) and had been seeing some great improvement in upper body strength and general fitness.

At the same time, I've been doing open session adult gymnastics locally to put what I learnt into practice. Today I managed to get a decent horizontal straddle back lever and so thought I'd try a fully extended version. To my shock, I held it horizontal for a solid 5 seconds.

Thanks to the continued development of the GB program which is the only strength training I do. Next stop, fixing my pathetic attempt at a handstand, front lever and planche!

Thank you GB!

Alessandro Mainente

HI Paul, nice to hear your progress! now, back lever it is not something I suggest if you are on foundations one, i've seen too many bicep injurries due to it. so basically trust coach Sommer when he say that BL it is not for beginner. if you coach is giving you the back lever, then you should not trainf for it.

Paul Wallbridge

Hi @Alessandro Mainente

I thought I'd check back with you as I've taken a video to show my back lever. I can hold it relatively comfortably (this was my third rep and unfortunately I dropped it rather than return to vertical.

i should add that I am on F1 but I have done gymnastics in my youth (for 14 years) and have done plenty of upper body work and maintained mobility since.

is my form sufficiently poor that I should stop my back lever until further through foundations or does it look okay to keep practicing?

thanks!

https://youtu.be/Y2RXrokZPxs

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Paul Wallbridge,

I suggest you to stop doing it. I am not a gymnast nor a former gymnast but it is very important to master Foundation Four before even doing a Rings Program. Now if you are just attempting and playing with it then that is okay once in awhile if you have mastered at least up to Foundation Two. I hope this helps.

Alessandro Mainente

I prefer to see a fully extended-shoulders german hang FIRST. if you are not able to do that you should avoid for the time the BL training.

Paul Wallbridge

Thank you both for the feedback. I will take a video of my German hang/stc and get a form check on it.

much appreciated!