This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Foundations, Stretch, Handstand, Movement

Started by Bob Robbins, February 15, 2017 · 4 Replies · 166 Views

Bob Robbins

I bought the fundamentals and foundations one. Just completed fundamentals and completed my first week of foundations. I see on my dashboard the splits routines, handstand and movement. I can view only the sample of those but was wondering if I should add those as well? I am new to this yet older (52) with some shoulder issues (partial torn rotator cuff) and of course super tight all over. I am used to working out a lot in the past but has been getting more painful for shoulders as time goes on so planning on sticking to this program to see how my body reacts.

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Bob,

It's great to hear that you have successfully completed the Fundamentals course and have moved on to the Foundation series. The Foundation One course is a great place to begin to build strength and mobility throughout your body. Adding the the stretch, handstand and movement courses to your weekly routine is a great idea. Each course will benefit you in a different way and help you become a more well-rounded athlete.

As purchasing all of these courses might be impractical currently, I recommend looking into the Thoracic Bridge Stretch series. It will help you regain the lost flexibility in your shoulder.

Before doing so, however, I highly recommend that you consult a medical professional about your shoulder problems as they will be qualified to help you begin the road to recovery. 

Hermann Thiel

Hi Bob,

I am 51 and started with GST about seven months ago. The first thing I can say is that it is a long learning curve. I started out doing Fundamentals and then Foundation one. Initially, I did F7 three times per week. At first, that is easy but it quickly adds up. Over time, I started introducing Middle Split and Front Split stretch, and then most recently Handstand and Thoracic Bridge. I already purchased movement, and I know I need to add that soon as well. I now do F7 Sundays and Wednesdays, Front Split on Mondays, Handstand and Thoracic Bridge on Tuesdays, and Middle Split on Thursdays. I intend adding movement to Fridays or Saturdays (I currently live in Cairo, Egypt, hence the Sunday start of the week). I also try to throw in a few 30 minute or so runs or other forms of cardio per week, as Coach Sommer recommends. I usually do these on the stretching days. I got to this combination after a lot of experimenting and false starts. I am starting to be consistent, and that helps tremendously.

The longer I do it, the more I realize how the different components complement each other. So, if you can, I would suggest adding them in one by one. 

Good luck,

Hermann

Bob Robbins

This may be a stupid question, but what does F7 mean?

Everett Carroll

Hey Bob,

F7 represents training all 7 Foundational Elements in one day.