This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Improving Chest Tightness

Started by Sean Cunningham, February 15, 2017 · 6 Replies · 160 Views

Sean Cunningham

I cannot make my hands meet behind my back. Due to chest tightness, I can't get my hands closer than about 3 ft from each other. Are there any stretches/exercises that I can do (should be doing) on a daily basis to improve this? 

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Sean,

Great question. It is completely normal to have deficiencies in your flexibility. As you progress through the TB course, you will slowly see your chest flexibility improve.

Though you should only do hard stretching one time per week, I recommend doing a couple of key stretches as part of your warm-up and cool-down each day before and after your daily workouts. I suggest beginning with stretches like Rocking Table and Twisting Bear from the beginning of the TB series.

Alessandro Mainente

Probably daily I would do the same shoulders extension variation with the elbows bent  at 90°. if you are a beginner I do not suggest practice daily the shoulders extension with locked elbows. btw no matter elbows locked or bend, alwasy hold retraction and depression, some external rotation of the upper arm it is completely fine.

Dorian Brown

A small thing that helps me is doing foam rolling on the pecs and biceps. 

Leo Trinidad

maximizing table hold and table rocks really helped me a lot in opening the chest. (never forget to retract)

Sean Cunningham
On 2/21/2017 at 1:33 AM, Dorian Brown said:

A small thing that helps me is doing foam rolling on the pecs and biceps. 

Interesting. @Dorian Brown, were you incorporating the foam rolling into your warm up or after you had completed your work out?

Dorian Brown

@Sean Cunningham I do it in my warm up on Handstand, Upper Body and Thoracic Bridge days. I usually seem to get a little bit of extra range if I do it verse when I don't do it.