This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Straddle/pancake stretch Question

Started by Juliana Rose, February 15, 2017 · 3 Replies · 119 Views

Juliana Rose

Hello all, 

When I stretch my straddle/pancake, the place I feel the stretch most is not in my adductors (unless I push to the max end of my stretching range). I feel a pull/tightness in my hip crease, right around the TFL/attachment point of the quads/ lateral hip area. I think this is being caused by the shortening of the muscles opposite the adductors but I'm wondering if: A) is this normal? and B), is there anything I can do to alleviate this? 

This has been hindering my middle split progress for some time so any advice is appreciated! 

Pauline Taube

Hi Juliana,

Thanks for reaching out.

You will feel the Stretch in the areas where you're tight. This is very individual and completely normal. 

I would suggest rolling on your TFL and IT band with a lacrosse ball or foamroller before doing the stretches. You can also stretch your hip flexors and piriformis before getting into the position. If these areas are particularly tight I'd reccomend to add some stretches for these in the cooldown after your workouts a couple times a week.

Alessandro Mainente

This is more related to hips capsule, I suggest to spend a couple of minutes a day on the frog and butterflly variation and also piriformis it is important too.

Luke Searra

Great advice by Pauline and Alessandro. Remember everyones hips are made differenty so you will need to be consistent and patient with your stretching.