This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Middle split issues

Started by Grant Stacey, February 15, 2017 · 14 Replies · 291 Views

Grant Stacey

Hey Everyone,

I am currently doing F1 + H1 3 times a week and alternating with middle split stretch series inbetween. I am having a very difficult time with the middle split series and am relying on multiple blocks to keep my back straight etc. Any advice on supplemental or easier stretches to start with? I feel like most of the stretches are difficult if not impossible from 16 - 26. If there is a thread already devoted to this issue please point me in the right direction. Thanks. 

Pauline Taube

Hi Grant,

Thanks for reaching out.

It's completely normal to have difficulty with these exercises to begin with. Keep using the blocks to elevate as much as you need in order to keep your back straight. Once your mobility improves you can start removing blocks.

You can also add some of the stretches for areas where you're tight to your cooldown after your workouts :) 

Grant Stacey

Excellent. Thanks for the help!

Leigh Kettle
18 hours ago, Grant Stacey said:

Excellent. Thanks for the help!

Grant 

I feel your pain and I wanted to let you know you are not alone 

i had to start with two yoga blocks . As long as you keep that anterior pelvic tilt and just work small range of motion (Tiny If need be ) and never lose it through any of the exercises to make you think like you've got lower. Persevere and it will come. 

Im still on Two blocks but my apt is feeling so much better and my range of motion is slowly increasing . 

It takes time but I assure you it will come with persistence and discipline and being true in all your movements . Just keep saying Apt, Apt in all the pancake moves. As coach says keep reminding yourself of correct body position and cues

good luck bro 

leigh 

Alessandro Mainente

Usually the middle split it is highly limited by adductors and hips capsule. consider the idea of doing some piriformis and butterfly stretch daily.

Benjamin Renaud

@Leigh Kettledo you use the blocks under your butt so you can actually lean forward a bit? I'm stuck at 90° with no forward bend on the pancake series, but hadn't thought about sitting on blocks.

 

Pauline Taube

Let us know how you do with your butt elevated, @Benjamin Renaud. This will help you keep your back straight :) 

Leigh Kettle

 

4 hours ago, Benjamin Renaud said:

@Leigh Kettledo you use the blocks under your butt so you can actually lean forward a bit? I'm stuck at 90° with no forward bend on the pancake series, but hadn't thought about sitting on blocks.

 

Hey benjamin

yes im currently using two blocks underneath me . This isn't to make me lean forwards as this would be a false position only giving the impression of leaning forward it is to make sure I can sit up straight with Apt 

Only once I'm happy sitting up straight with Apt (use as many blocks as necessary) do i try  to lean forwards ever so slightly keeping that position with chest up and forwards 

hope this helps

leigh 

Antonio Alías Montoya

Same here. Started using 4 blocks. I am on 2 blocks now but very little lean.

Paul Townley-Smith

I started with absolutely terrible mobility and I've been doing MS 1x per week for almost 6 months. I'm still sitting on four blocks so it makes the exercises doable.  Overall I think GST is great and I have definitely made progress (more noticeable in FS) but honestly I have to question this one size fits all routine for someone as tight as I am.  Has gymnastic bodies ever considered adding MS and FS routines specifically for those of us with really terrible mobility in this area, maybe with positions or partner stretches that don't force you into positions that are nearly impossible to achieve unless you have decent mobility to start with?

Leo Trinidad

Hi Guys,

The best thing that I have learned when doing the courses is that in order to progress steadily or exponentially is that you must do all the Courses. Sounds hard because of fitting it into your schedule but in my experience, just focusing on a single course will help you but also will take a bit longer. I only have Foundation Series, Handstand One and Handstand Two before. By doing these courses I was able to get a pancake. (my background is weight training-super tight) But when I added Stretch Series, my pancake became more consistent and I have gotten a better ROM. Finding balance in your training through the courses is the best experience. I hope this helps.

Grant Stacey

Does the following reasoning make sense to everyone?

Since middle split is difficult for me in its entirety I am focusing on the stretches I can do and adding in extra reps of those stretches to fill the gaps in. I have been focusing on MSSSE1 -13 utilizing blocks where necessary and then skipping through to MSSSE21-23 and adding extra frog and butterfly work to compensate. Any of the pancake excersises I cant do because I need to be upright to maintain my APT.

Everett Carroll

Hi Grant,

Have you tried sitting on one or two yoga blocks? That may help you keep ATP. It would be good to at least work to achieve ATP in a pancake, even if you cannot perform all of the pancake exercises. 

Ian Cohan-Shapiro

How frequently should you do the middle split series? 

Darin Phoenix

The recommended frequency is once per week for all of the stretch series. You are welcome to supplement this with something like the daily limber from the Fundamentals course.