This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Vertical Lunge - Where should we feel it?

Started by Chad Moffitt, February 15, 2017 · 6 Replies · 128 Views

Chad Moffitt

Hi team, I did Front split today and I want to check about the stretch feeling with Vertical Lunge (both straight and bent)

As in the picture below I can (1) Keep my torso in what I think is one correct position, or I can (2) move it away from the wall ( I realise that in the second image my torso is leaned forward and should be kept more vertical, but this wasn't my actual workout, I just took a quick photo).  The emphasis on the stretch changes from (1) More lower quad/knee, to (2) where it's more in the groin area where the leg joins the body.

On this point what are your thoughts/ advice; particularly where we should feel the stretch. Thanks!

stretch-front-split.jpg

Pauline Taube

Hi Chad,

Good question. Where you will feel the Stretch depends on where you're tight. It can also vary, I often feel stretches different places depending on when I'm performing them, and whether I'm sore or not. 

For the Stretch series you should aim for Stretch 2). You can keep your front foot a bit further in front, squize your glute and focus on getting your hip closer to the ground. When you do this you will feel it more in your hip flexors as well :) 

Alessandro Mainente

Usually in the vast majority of the cases the folded legs promotes the stretch of the insertion this means more patellar tendon stretch and quads belly. when you move the hips lower the origin it is more stretched, if you are tight still persist the stretch in the muscle belly while in the nearly future it moves upper in the lateral part of the hip.

as stated by Pauline, keeo the front leg more forward this ensure a correct long support because you work with glutes, strnger than quads.

Chad Moffitt

Thanks Pauline and Alessandro :-)

Affan Osman

I am a bit confused, i thought we were not suppose to lean forward so back leg can be straight and stretch should be felt in quads and hip flexor.

Pauline Taube

The Stretch will be more intense for hip flexors when pushing it towards the ground, which will create a forward lean. Just make sure you keep your glute engaged and don't arch your low back. You want to keep your pelvis tilted forward. Doing this you will stretch both your quad and hip flexor. Feel free to try the difference and let us know how you go :) 

Alessandro Mainente

Remember that the lean it is perfomed with the upper body held in a perfect vertical position, shoulders never lean forward.