This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Discomfort Under Armpit

Started by Chris Nowak, February 14, 2017 · 3 Replies · 84 Views

Chris Nowak

Hi,

I have been doing the Handstand course for a little over two to three weeks - am still on the tripod but have noticed an onset of discomfort under my left underpin. Never felt it during exercise until tonight. Leading up to this it was just something that I felt occasionally since the start of the year.

I felt it during the wrist rocks and during the tripod set. Everything else felt fine. I commonly notice it in any left arm fully extended with weight position ie carrying shopping bags in hand, on the mouse with arm fully extended at work, driving with arm fully extended. I started GB and swimming at the beginnng of this year.

I saw a physio last week who looked at my shoulder strength and found nothing weak or out of the ordinary. I am due for another check up tomorrow but would like to know of anyone has any idea what it can be as the physio couldn't come to a conclusion.

The two places that I feel it are 'under' where my left pec attaches to the shoulder,  at the beginning of this armpit region and also where my upper arm comes in to meet my shoulder in the armpit region there.

If anyone could help that would be great as I am stuck as to what the cause is.

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Chris, it is extremely difficult for me to give you a decent and honest opinion. you HAVE to check a Physio in order to understand the problem.

Chris Nowak

Hi Alejandro,

i have had a few sessions with my physiotherapist and so far we have noticed the following:

- Left pec tends to switch on with a lot of straight or bent arm movements

- Scalular strength required in order to pull shoulders back, both tend to round forward

- When doing external rotations my left side (where I experience the discomfort) tends to use traps muscles these visibly are doing a lot of the work

- Need to work in scapular strengthening to bring shoulders back as they move roll forward and in.

I hope this gives you a better picture. 

Are you able to offer any assistance exercises? I just started doing Foundation One so upper body will be trained with close attention to scapular shrugs

Thanks

Alessandro Mainente

Usually problem under the arm pit are concerned with 2 muscles: subscapularis and teres major. you should ask him for specific stretch exercises.