Human Flag

Started by Hayden.M., February 6, 2010 · 9 Replies · 7,204 Views

Hayden.M.

hi all

i was wondering, what are the progressions to achieve the human flag?

also, what are the best exercises to work up to this and what prerequisits do I need before even attempting this move.

Dominic Lacasse = machine.

any replies greatly appreciated

thanks

Tarun Suri

I never thought the flag was that hard. The top arm focuses on the bicep to pull it towards the pole and the bottom arm uses the triceps to extend the arm. Albeit there are a lot more muscles working, this is what I visualise in order to accomplish the move.

However, this skill is based on your core strength, more specifically your obliques, but you would be best training your core's strength. I read somewhere that you do L-Sits. Try the flag... perhaps you can already do it.

Richard Duelley

I might make a short video of the progressions I have used. I got my flag in a half lay but I havent tried to extend it out yet, and I dont jump into it (thats cheating), I press it up!

palmcron
Hayden.M. said:

Dominic Lacasse = machine.

Yeah, he even made a video-tutorial ;)

I don't have it handy, so you will have to search it yourself.

Also there's a tutorial at bestskills.com.

However, I'm looking forward to your progrssions, niftyvt!

Nick Van Bockxmeer

GXdirSCSfsg

Richard Duelley

lol I got most (if not everything) from Dominic :mrgreen: I always start people off with what Dominic (in the video above) calls the standing flag, ie just pick your feet off the ground. Most of the people who ask me about flag work cant even do the standing flag at first so I tell them to hit the bar and keep working basic upper body strength. I guess I can make a video anyway, I suppose its good to have multiple examples.

jl5555
niftyvt said:
.....I guess I can make a video anyway, I suppose its good to have multiple examples.

Any progress on this?

I've incorporated flag into my workouts now that I've figured out a way to do it at my gym which lacks any type of stall bar or pole to use. I'm at standing flag and then occasionally will jump into tuck flag with a hold of < 3 secs as of now... I started at the most basic of progresssions using a wide grip pullup and holding my legs to one side and the other for 10 secs.

Marcelo Lara

I think that you should have trained the Obliques, as told in Building the Gymnastic Body. The progressions are in there, but the Dominic Lacasse's workout is very good too :)

Richard Duelley
jl5555 said:
niftyvt said:
.....I guess I can make a video anyway, I suppose its good to have multiple examples.

Any progress on this?

Nope, I filmed a little flag work two weeks ago but I dont work flags that often and I have been away on spring break for a week :mrgreen: . I will give it a serious go on Wednesday.

Erik Sjolin

Side bends (with weights) are a decent supplementary exercise I've found. A few days I attempted a flag "with no wind" (I tucked my legs to my chest) and managed to hold it for a few seconds, though I'm really not sure what exactly helped get it other than that and HePU's.