This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

FSSSE18-19 - question

Started by Alessandro Di Sanzo, February 13, 2017 · 10 Replies · 153 Views

Alessandro Di Sanzo

Hello Guys! I have a question about the correct way to perform the standing single pike stretch.

Here's a pic of my form:

IMG_20170213_125012.thumb.png.deddf18c4e5d77dd2c3cc8b0fe4e9b72.png

The straight leg is not in direct contact with the Wall, as It is shown in the video demonstration. However this Can give much more stability and let me to relax in the position. If I get closer the Leg I feel I lose balance and fall forward as I try to bend forward...

So Should I even focus to get thestraight leg closer as It is shown in the video? 

Thank you all!

Alessandro

Everett Carroll

Hey Alessandro,

I suggest using blocks or some other form of support to help keep your balance while getting the straight leg in contact with the wall. The technique tip video shows how to progress with blocks over time. Also be sure to keep ATP in this stretch. You may need to reduce your degree of forward fold to do so. 

Benjamin Renaud

Everett when you say technique tip video, do you mean the follow along? Are there specific technique tip videos related to the stretch series with coaching cues and such? Thanks.

 

Jeffrey Bittner

@Benjamin Renaud You can find the technique tip videos in your course library. A link to the course library can be found in the 'Fitness' tab sidebar.

Benjamin Renaud

Thanks @Jeffrey BittnerI hadn't noticed them there. Will help greatly with form questions.

Alessandro Mainente

The primary goal it is still to not feel the sensation of falling forward, if this happens the body reacts my squeezing the muscle of the supporting leg. in order to avoid that you can simply shift the weight on the folded leg.

Alessandro Di Sanzo

Guys, I recorded myself while performing this exercise.

First video: I keep straight leg with ankle against the wall. As I said previously I feel most wieght on my arms, even though I use some blocks... I can barely relax this way...

 

In the next video I place foot more forward. In this case I feel most weight on my leg rather than arms, I feel much more the intensity of the stretch, and I can relax in the position much easier.

Maybe my straight leg is too much forward, but at least I feel I'm stretching much more compared to the first video. Maybe should I place the foot so that my straight leg is exactly vertical from a side view??

What do you think?

Thank you all!

PS. I would say I should keep more APT in both videos... I'm going to fix that.

 

 

 

 

Jennifer Rodriguez

The first is the more correct form as I understand it but perhaps you are going down too low still for your ability.  Have you tried to be a little higher up, say on a chair? 

Leigh Kettle

Day one for me on fs and im feeling the same problem here so be interested in what is said .

Although I am feeling a stretch in the leg I'm certainly feeling a lot of pressure through the arms 

Leigh

 

 

Alessandro Mainente

The distance from the wall should be equal to the length on the lower feet.

Alessandro Di Sanzo
8 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

The distance from the wall should be equal to the length on the lower feet.

Good to know that! Thanks for clarifying this, Ale!

Alessandro