This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Bent Arm half straddle hold stagnation

Started by Haitham Samir, February 12, 2017 · 7 Replies · 245 Views

Haitham Samir

Hello Guys,

I've been practicing the foundation series since a while. I am trying to be strict in following the progressions and the mastery templates.

Till now every progression was ok, and I was able to go forward for the next one. Note: I used to be a martial artist, and have relatively strong and flexible physique.

But sadly I am facing a stagnation here at the (Bent Arm half straddle hold) I can't hold it for even 2 seconds while I am able to complete the mastery templates for the frog stand, dragon flags, windshield wipers, L sits, Hollow body hold and rocks, and all sorts of pull ups, and planks.

I guess the progression here is very sudden, as there is no previous bent arm holds. Beside I wonder how can such a hard static position be considered as mobility between frog stand holds. 

What can I do now, shall i progress to the advanced frog stand and tuck planche, or just stop there, for I don't know how much till I master this movement?

Thanks

 

Darin Phoenix

Hi Haitham,

If your question is "should you just skip an aspect of the program because you are finding it challenging?" then the answer is definitely no!

Being stuck on a element does not suggest a lack of progress, it is highlighting an area that you need to work on. How long have you spent on this element? The body adaptive system will work at it's own pace as it is not a linear system, especially if there are physical adaptations to be made and not just improvements in neural efficiency. 

You also have the option of submitting a video for review by our online coaches to make sure that your technique is correct on the exercise in question and to give you some individualised feedback that may assist in your progress. 

As Coach Sommer says "Go slow at the beginning, so you can go fast later."

It sounds as if you have been making great progress; stick with it, be consistent and you will overcome any obstacle that temporarily blocks your path.

Haitham Samir

Thanks Darin for your fast reply.

The one thing confusing me is that the bent arm half straddle hold is linked with the frog stand hold. Now as I mastered the frog stand but not the bent arm half straddle. shall I continue to the advanced frog stand and still work on the bent arm half straddle hold? or I have to wait till I master both then go to the advanced frog stand with straight arm?

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Samir you need to master the PE and the CORRESPONDING  IM before moving on.

Mark Alexander

Hi All,

I'm going to echo Samir here -- I've been stuck on this IM for (ugh) 9 months now.  It's unclear how the previous progressions lead to the Bent Arm Half Straddle Planche.  I submitted a video recently and got some helpful feedback about emphasizing hip mobility.  Though at this point, even on parallettes I'm only getting about 2-3 seconds in position (essentially doing a 10-second descent that passes thru the hold position).  

Could someone comment on what elements of strength and mobility are at play in this IM?  Clearly there's a gap, but I have no idea what mine is and 9-months in I'm still trying to figure it out.

best,

mark

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Haitham Samir and @Mark Alexander, this mobility reflects your mastery of the previous elements.

1) Planche Lean

2) Pseudo Planche Pushups

3) Core strength (Manna and Side Lever)

4) Glute Strength (previous iMs of sPL progressions)

5) Leg Strength (SLS progressions)

I hope this helps. Foundation Exercises work hand in hand with each other. 

Mark Alexander

Hey Leo!

 

Thanks for that - this is helpful.  I'll go back and review where I stand on those elements and find the weakness.

 

best,

mark

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Mark Alexander,

I'm glad to be able to help you. Very excited to see your progress. :)