This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Pissing a lot

Started by Antonio Alías Montoya, February 12, 2017 · 10 Replies · 245 Views

Antonio Alías Montoya

Hi all

I was the type of guy who was not drinking any water. I woke up just take a bit of water and next water would be with lunch. I was drinking one glass with lunch and one glass with dinner. Only drinking more if training. And even like this I was pissing quite a lot. Before I was pissing at least 7 times a day. As opossite my wife is always drinking water, tea, coffe and thousands of things more and probably she s done with 4 times. I m also the kind of guy who is never thirsty unless is very hot or I ve sweated a lot. I was always saying to me that drinking 2 litters a day is bullshit, that one should drink whatever one feels. My thought was if I shouldn t eat without been hungry why to drink without feeling thirsty?

But ok, I understand the step and accept it. My problem is that now I am pissing even more, specially some days and even more after training. I think I am pissing around 10 times, sometimes more. From waking up at 8 am until 5 pm it s fine, I go pissing maybe 3 or 4 times but after this time I may start going to the toilet every 30 minutes sometimes. In the best cases every hour. Not everyday is the same too.

So my question is how many times at least? How many times at maximum? I guess there is not, but I have some really bad times when I am in the car and pissing all the time. My wife is very patient with me. I always go to piss before leaving home and it doesn t matter... 30 minutes and need to pi again!

Is that normal? Always in the afternoon i am pissing very clear.

Douglas Wadle

Since the goal is 2 L per day, you should not be peeing >10 x per day.  That would mean your bladder is holding less than 200 mL.  If you pee and then need to go again very soon, you may not be completely emptying your bladder.  You may have a medical problem perhaps (e.g. prostatitis, etc), and may need to be evaluated.  

Sometimes adding a pinch of salt to your water can help.  It's also possible that it is just because it is a change, and your body will learn to manage fluids better w/ time, as it reequilibrates to a new normal.   The osmotic gradient in your renal tubules may be conditioned for chronic dehydration.   Spread the water out more through the day, maybe.  

Good luck.

Antonio Alías Montoya

Thanks for your answer Douglas. I m definetely spreading the water through the day. If I drink a whole glass of water straight away (out of meals) in 5 minutes I ll be in the toilet. My father has the same problem than me but he s 62 and I m 30. Let s see if this change with time. I ll be aware of this. And as I said there are worse and better days so I ll try to find out why.

Julia Quigley

Are you measuring your water or just estimating/going by the number of glasses? I ask because my standard kitchen glasses hold about two cups of water, which surprised me. 

 

Are you drinking any other fluids during the day (milk, soda, juice, coffee)? 

And what's your salt intake like? Do you salt your foods?

Antonio Alías Montoya

One glass is around 200-250 mililiters. I don t drink any other fluids during the day. I don t like coffe, tea and milk. I like juice and soda but I hardly ever drink. The only thing I drink sometimes is gazpacho (raw cold tomato soup).

I salt my food very little but in the other hand I eat everyday some ready to eat products that have a lot of salt like rice cakes and corn cakes. Also the gazpacho and the smoked salmon that I buy have a lot of salt, but not eating everyday.

I was observing myself today. It wasn t too bad. It s always the same. I go very little to piss during morning and early afternoon and after lunch and "siesta" (a nap) I have like 2 or 3 hours that I piss more ofently. In the evening it becomes "normal" again.

It also happens an interesting thing to me. If i start feeling cold then I start pissing a lot.

But then 10 times, no more, it s ok?

Briac Roquet

Quick question. Do you wake up at night to go pee? If not, you most likely pee that often because you're not used to feeling that much water in your bladder. If you can hold it in all night long, your bladder is large enough, it's just feeling it full during the day that bothers you.

Antonio Alías Montoya
47 minutes ago, Briac Roquet said:

Quick question. Do you wake up at night to go pee? If not, you most likely pee that often because you're not used to feeling that much water in your bladder. If you can hold it in all night long, your bladder is large enough, it's just feeling it full during the day that bothers you.

I like your answer and I think it s at least half true. I don t need to wake up at night to go to pee. I could do it because i feel like pissing around 5 am but I don t wan t to get up to go to the toilet and it s not a big issue. So the answer is no, I don t need to pee at night.

And it s very true that I don t like feeling my bladder full. If I am at home and i feel a bit full I go and pee. And if i compared how much i pee in that cases compared to what my wife pee, it s nothing. So probably there are at least 4 pr 5 times that I pee that could be just 2 full bladders. So maybe I should not worry so much.

But at the same time this 2 or 3 hours in the afternoon I really pee full bladder, sometimes after 30 minutes and I m full. Maybe I should pee only when i m really full for one day and count who many times i went to the toilet. Maybe I can also check how much I m pissing at once.

Thanks for all your answers and your interest.

Douglas Wadle
On 2/13/2017 at 2:00 PM, Antonio Alías Montoya said:

It also happens an interesting thing to me. If i start feeling cold then I start pissing a lot.

This is a well-known effect called cold-induced diuresis.  It is related to vasoconstriction (blood vessel contraction) in the periphery, and then the kidneys' job is to get rid of all that extra fluid that's now in the central circulation. 

Luke Searra

Antonio, I don't want to alarm you, but if you think that you have excessive urination not related to water consumption or nutrition, you might want to check for prostate inflammation (prostatitis), with your physician.

Antonio Alías Montoya

Thanks luke, but i think i m ok. It s not that much. I got used to it already.

 

Luke Searra

For sure Antonio, not to worry. Us guys should all get checked out eventually anyway. hahaha.