This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Exercise modifications with broken leg and ankle

Started by Nicholas Kuhl, February 12, 2017 · 4 Replies · 56 Views

Nicholas Kuhl

A week ago I dislocated my ankle and broke my fibula skiing, and I'm looking at about 12 weeks of a non-weight bearing right leg.  Obviously, I'm not going to stop training (I'm taking a week off, and then starting up with some easy aerobic work on a stationary bike, and then gradually working my way back into actual strength training), but I'm definitely going to need to modify some movements, especially some of the mobility work.  

Would doing seated versions of things like Xiaopengs and HS/PE5>iM make sense? Or is it better to try and do as much as possible standing on one foot?

Everett Carroll

Hey Nicholas,

Sorry to hear your hurt! Performing those iM's seated for now sounds perfect to me. It seems like a stool work work best. I just went through the motions on one and it felt like a fine substitute. If you have any other questions about exercises modifications just let us know. Please feel free to post videos as well if you are unsure. 

Tanya Hill

Hi Nicholas, 

Injuries are a bummer, but we all come across them at some point. I like your attitude of continuing your training. 

Id agree with you and Everett that doing the Xiaopeng's seated shouldn't be an issue at all. 

Definitely share some videos so we can give you further feedback. 

Nicholas Kuhl

Thanks!

The way I see it, this is a great opportunity to focus really hard on upper body strength work.

Do you think doing things like the F1 HBP and RC progressions with only one foot on the ground is going to set me up for some weird imbalances by the time I'm done with recovery?

I could easily skip ahead on the RC and work the later pull-up progressions (I max at ~15 pulls currently) instead of the rows for now, and circle back later to work the various row variations.  

Everett Carroll
1 hour ago, Nicholas Kuhl said:

Do you think doing things like the F1 HBP and RC progressions with only one foot on the ground is going to set me up for some weird imbalances by the time I'm done with recovery?

God attitude Nicholas! I don't think this will cause too much of an imbalance in only 12 weeks so don't skip progressions. Best of luck with recovery.