This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Neck Problems in Early Exercises

Started by Philip Harrison, February 12, 2017 · 10 Replies · 216 Views

Philip Harrison

As I start Handstand One, I find myself having problems with the pyramid position. I can do it OK but then find myself a day or days later with neck pain radiating down my shoulders and back. I know the answer may be "tough luck kid, you waited too long", but I'm just wondering if there might be some alternatives for me? Is it really necessary to compress the neck to that degree? BTW, I'm 47 and as a video editor, a total desk jockey. So yes, I know the answer might be "tough luck, old man, you waited too long!" 

Alessandro Mainente

HI Philipi I would like to see your form in a video so that I can suggest you to change some details.

Jeremy Huston

How long are you holding the position? If the pain comes after a couple seconds it's different than after a minute.

Tanya Hill

Hi Philip,  

Sounds like you may have some trigger points in the upper traps that are active and referring up into the neck. My recommendation is to find a therapist to do some trigger point therapy work. Like Alex suggested, definitely submit a video so we can assist you further. 

Strengthening the neck can be a timely process. Be sure you balance your training with recovery. 

Philip Harrison
9 hours ago, Jeremy Huston said:

How long are you holding the position? If the pain comes after a couple seconds it's different than after a minute.

Also, I get radiating pain and tightness even if I only do a few sets at 12 seconds each time.

 

Philip Harrison
On 2/11/2017 at 4:25 PM, Alessandro Mainente said:

HI Philipi I would like to see your form in a video so that I can suggest you to change some details.

Thanks for the help everyone. Here is a dropbox link to me doing this position. It looks like my neck gets very compacted compared to the GB reference video.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z1lmh7cnzvu3ef6/IMG_6502.MOV.mov?dl=0

Leo Trinidad

Hi Philip,

Aside from doing Handstand One are you also doing your Foundations? When I first started Handstand One, I also experienced the same pain and tightness. I tried to triple the mats and folded those them and it felt a lot better. As I progressed and got stronger in Foundations then the tripod became a lot easy.

Alessandro Mainente

You can try to roll the chin inward a bit so tha the cervical spine it is completely aligned and less compressed.

Margaret Graham

Can we put more weight into the hands initially to keep it off the cervical spine?

Alessandro Mainente

The idea it is exactly to feel the pressure on the hands.