This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Stall Bar/Side Lever Work

Started by Alexander Castiglione, February 9, 2017 · 4 Replies · 222 Views

Alexander Castiglione

Hey People, 

So I'm working some progressions to hit a side lever. Now while I don't have access to proper stall bars, I jury rigged two barbells on a rack and secured them. I'm trying to keep my hands in as much of a vertical line as possible, and activating my lats while retracting my scaps as best as possible. I can "hop" into a side lever - and I know that's not recommended nor a demonstration of mastery and control. 

So I'm working some progressions starting with blocking. I have my bottom arm locked out, palm up, pushing as best as possible, Top arm, palm down, pulling as much as possible, but when I bring my feet off the ground I fine myself canting to the side of my top arm, and I don't want to resist it too much since I don't have much experince with side levers. 

Is this canting normal, and if so, what cues and I used to counteract it? 

If this canting is not normal, what am I doing wrong? 

Thanks in advance! 

 

Douglas Wadle

canting is probably a reflection of lack of scapular strength and a subconscious effort to use more abs.  Proper, slow progressions will assure you get the scapulae working properly. It is very important to do this properly to prevent shoulder injury.  

Alexander Castiglione

Thanks! I figured as much, and after training GST for a year or so I've learned to not let my ego get in the way. Back to some hinge rows and scap work. 

 

Any other drills or exercises people have found helpful, please hit me with them! 

Douglas Wadle

Sounds like you have foundation.  That should get you there quickly!  just follow along as directed.  Cheers.

Everett Carroll

Hey Alexander, 

Awesome question! Like Douglas said, deficits in shoulder, core (especially obliques), and lower back strength are the likely cause of the instability in your side lever work. You have the right idea with returning to more basic exercises. 

If you take the time now to work on the correct preparatory exercises, I can say with confidence that when you return to side lever blocks, you will be 100% stable. The Foundation Series progressively covers all of your side lever basics.