This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

one legged standing pike

Started by Michael Vetter, February 8, 2017 · 4 Replies · 199 Views

Michael Vetter

Hi!

Actually I have two questions:

  1. The one legged standing pike, where the other leg is pressed on the wall, what is the purpse of it and what should one look for when doing it. At first I thought its about the leg that rests against the wall. But I guess its mainly about the standing leg, something about developing strength in this position and changing the fascia so it gets used to load?
  2. If in any stretch one can reach deeper on one side, should one go always go as deep as each side can or should one make them equal even if that means going with one leg not as deep as it theoretically could go.

I suppose I didnt really formulate this very well, for some reason its the best I can do right now. Hope you guys understand the questions :-)

Everett Carroll

Hi Michael,

Awesome questions!

1. This is essentially a weighted hamstring stretch and is used to get you used to having more weight on a single leg. 

2. Limit yourself to the range that your tighter side has. The tighter side is always the guide. 

5 hours ago, Michael Vetter said:

make them equal even if that means going with one leg not as deep as it theoretically could go.

You nailed it here. 

Michael Vetter

Thanks a lot Everett!

Arto Lehtokari

I have a follow-up to this question and figured it's better to continue here than starting a new thread with the exact same topic.

My quads (and hip flexors) are way too tight to reach proper form in this stretch. The bent leg against the wall is not really bent enough and I have to position the standing leg pretty far from the wall. Now I suppose I should focus on the straight leg and use a door frame or something that I can press the straight leg against and just forget about the other leg? 

Anyone else have similar problems? And what would be the "gb-approved" substitute stretch?

Alessandro Mainente

HI Arto, can I see you doing this exercise please?