This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Anyone doing Core and Upper Body together?

Started by Andy Desak 36466, February 8, 2017 · 15 Replies · 366 Views

Andy Desak 36466

I've been doing this 2 days a week... its a long beater of a session but I like it like this... and it allows me plenty of days to do my other training.

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Andy,

Nice job getting to work and finding out what works best for you. Make sure that you are allowing yourself adequate recovery time.

Bas Albinus

yup, used to do F7, but it's a looong session if you get to the step8-9 progressions. Depending on the progressions I'm on and how well I've recovered I'll combine the 3 blocks in different ways. pretty much every session I do core as it can take a lot of volume and recovers rather fast. 

Alessandro Mainente

It is not normal, when you work of basic movements the last steps sometime has 4-5 sets of 60 seconds or 12-15 reps. sessions are a bit longer!

Andy Desak 36466

Well, it's definitely a tough session... any exercise on its own isn't so bad but combining all six is tough.
Doing it Tuesday and Saturday.
Thursday is leg day... alternate weeks with squats and deadlifts then a mix of pistols, glute ham raises, Bulgarian split squats or whatever other leg exercises.
Wed./Sunday is wrists, forearms, loaded stretches for side splits and general movement or whatever random stuff comes to mind... martial arts, weightlifting etc.
Friday is a shorter day because I train Friday night then early Saturday morning. Usually try to do some floreio work, random cardio/movement.

Depending on how I feel each day may throw some kind of finisher at the end or a grip exercise (crushing, pinching, tearing, etc.)
Try to get about 10 minutes of handstand work it.... skip it on GB day as that beats up the shoulders and wrists pretty good.

Anyway... see how this goes for a bit. It's always challenging for me to get a routine going because I like to do too many different things.

Ironically on F1 the more challenging progression is for an exercise I can do... and from some posts I've seen I'm not alone. I can do a rope climb in a perfect l-sit and have done a climb with a 50 pound vest (at 210 bodyweight) but PE2 5x15 rows just sucks! So many reps with minimal rest... more endurance than strength...

 

Matic Balantic

I do F6 2x per week and a leg workout 1x per week. It is not too bad, takes me about an hour to get it all done, maybe longer, depending on the warmup. I try not to rest too much between the exercises. I noticed my workout capacity improved quite a bit. On Tuesdays when I do leg workout with a friend of mine, I do 4 exercises more then he does, because when he is resting, I do another exercise. Not between heavy sets though ;) Lately I spend a lot of time behind a computer and very little time moving besides working out. This weekend I went hill climbing with a friend of mine who is a runner. Thought I won't be able too keep up, but had no problem at all. We arrived at the top in 45 minutes even though it said 1 hour and 20 minutes at the starting point. Not bad for someone who averages 2000 steps in a week :) I think F6/F7 is definitly worth trying if you can handle it.

Ray Deese

I've been doing Core, Upper Body and Lower Body all together three days a week, Monday, Wednesday and Saturday.   I am in the middle of week 20...  I also do NOGI Jiu Jitsu on Tuesday and Thursday.

Bring it!

Ray

Andy Desak 36466

My original intent was to do it Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday but I cut it to two days to allow for other things... Maybe after a bit I will try a few 3 day weeks to see if it will be of more benefit to me.

Not doing the leg routine as pistols are pretty easy for me and I incorporate them into my leg day anyway.... although I may do some of the mobility exercises from the leg routine.

Really looking forward to see where this takes me by the end of the year as far as gymnastics strength is concerned.

Suzanna McGee

I do F7 twice a week (+H1/H2 twice a week + all 3 stretches once a week + 15,000 steps each day + some pole practice)… it gets a bit long sometimes, depending on what progressions I am. But I love it this way. Sometimes I move around the order of the F7 exercises, just for a change and different stimulation. 

Affan Osman

initially when I got F7 I was doing them all in one session thinking this is so easy! But as I progressed I realized it is was getting difficult both physically and psychologically! So now I take 2 days to complete them.

Igor Knezevic

I'm a total beginner (started 5 weeks ago) and so far I am doing F7 and HS in 1 session every 4 days. In the future I guess I'll have to split this up because it's going to be much, much tougher B-)

Andy Desak 36466

Interesting to see everyone's different methods. I was considering getting the HS routine.... for those of you doing that.... aside from the wrist prep which I do anyway what is a time estimate for a session?

Mark Chin

I tried doing core and upper body once a week, but my body responds better to more volume,  so I do an upper body plus core workout twice a week (M and Th).   My three other workout days are H1 and H2 plus one of the stretching protocols.  The squats haven't been so challenging yet (I used to squat 360 lbs) so I just throw them in whenever I am not rushed for time,  twice a week. Seems just right in terms of volume/recovery. 

Darin Phoenix

The Handstand workout should take around 30 minutes. But this will vary from individual to individual.

Antonio Alías Montoya

I train everything only once a week (F1, H1 and Stretches). If I include a second workout many times I won t be doing it and then I ll feel bad about it. I was a bit obsessed about training a year ago. I was hiking in the mountains with my wife and thinking about coming back earlier for training, I was in a party with friends and thinking about coming back earlier for training the next day. I want a healthy and happy life, in all aspects, and having just one only repetitive thinking in my mind wasn t very healthy. This doesn t mean I m saying there is no need to be consistent. It means that I love training GST and its a very big part of my life (I love it) but I don t wont that become the unique thing on it, so i keep everything to the minimum and if at the end of the week I see I have the time and the energy to hit one more workout then I do it. I am also working extra mobility and stretches for some issues in my body that have to be adressed as a priority.

So far if I d have to choose what is the main thing I am thankful to GST is that it has calm me down. It s taken me lots of steps back and I learnt to accept the slow consistent process. If F1 takes me very long, then fine. I think F1 is gold and for the first time I am realizing "basics" doesn t mean easy or not worth it. It s like the basement of a pyramid, the basement is always bigger, longer, heavier and it support all the above! :)

Vytautas Pilkauskas

Yeah, mate, this is usual that some people do splits and others do full body.

I do F7 + H1 on the same day but only twice a week. Then the other day I do what I call 'lower foundation' - a workout of previously mastered elements but with 3 sets, 2 min rest in between sets and more reps. I also found that I respond best when I do this 'lower foundation'. It helps to recover somehow and progress sky-rocketed this way with normal foundation.

Also, stretching. ;)