This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Getting Started with Movement

Started by Sean Cunningham, February 7, 2017 · 4 Replies · 214 Views

Sean Cunningham

I have recently added the movement course to my F1, H1, and Stretch work (which i started a couple of weeks earlier). Because of tightness in the shoulders, I find that I can't really complete the diagnostic section with 100% correct form. This brings up the following questions.

  1. Should I limit myself to the diagnostic block until I can do them all with proper form and with ease? Or should I go ahead and add in the Beginner training block (Sections 2, 3, and 4) as well?
  2. Are there extra exercises that will help expand my shoulder ROM? Or should I have patience and allow this to come from doing movement, thoracic bridge, and H1 exercises?
Alessandro Mainente

HI Sean, to your first question the answer it is yes, the diagnostic section must be easy.

Rather than extra exercises I prefer to talk about exercises from TB series that you can use a daily exercise. can you say more about your limitations? chest? cuff? lats?

Sean Cunningham

In trying to describe my limitations I did a slow windmill with each arm. At about 5-10 degrees from vertical I hit a lot of resistance. With my arm straight out to my side, I can't pull my arm back farther than about 15 degrees from the vertical plane defined by my shoulders. With my arms straight down at my sides, I'm also restricted to no more than 15 degree behind me.

In doing this, my cuffs feel incredibly restricted and there is significant tightness across my chest. I cant really get a sense for how my lats are interacting with everything. What I can identify is a kind of "tugging" at the base of the neck when my arms are behind me at the ends of my range ofrom motion. 

When doing crab, I can't get my hands directly under my shoulders. They're usually about 6" out of alignment. And it difficult to keep my chest up while moving.

Does that help describe the situation? It's difficult to know what details are most useful.

Katherine Zodiaco

Hi! I just wanted to say I reluctantly added movement to my Handstand 1, Foundation 1, all stretch series & Thrive practice and I LOVE it! 

I'm not sure I'm doing it correctly - I don't have "tumbling" I just have "movement workout details".  I do the mobility warm-up (lizard, crab, ape, etc...). Crab is my nemesis.  I then move onto the 3 beginner exercises (hollow roll over, rock n' roll to squat, and pressure rock n' roll). I mark my smiley faces & move on with life. Am I doing it correctly? I don't do the intermediate or advanced because I'm a beginner.

Another question - I'm not able to squat to my ankles. I've tried modifying the rock to squat and like rolling off an elevated platform onto my feet. I'm elevated about 1.5 inches and this seems to be super challenging yet not impossible. I can send a video next time I do them. From what I said, does sound like it's an ok modification? 

I'm loving the movement, thank you,

Kathy

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Kathy,

It's great to hear that you are enjoying several different courses. 

The beginning level of the movement course is designed to help you learn to move and to better use your body. Once you make it through all of the beginning progressions, you will be ready to move to the intermediate movements. From what you said, it seems like you are completing your workouts correctly. 

It is also very smart of you to modify your exercises. It is okay to begin these exercises on an elevated surface, however, in order to complete mastery of the element, you will need to do them on the ground. I highly recommend focusing on the ankle exercises in the Front Splits series as they will help you to improve ankle flexibility. This, in turn, will make these exercises easier to accomplish. We would love to see a video of your progress!

Please keep us updated on your progress. Keep working hard!