This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

99% Cocoa Dark Chocolate — Where to find research

Started by Gustavo Tavares, February 7, 2017 · 2 Replies · 100 Views

Gustavo Tavares

Hey GB!

Do you love chocolate as much as I do?

For a while now, I've been enjoying some delicious 99% Cocoa. According to the info on the back, for every 100g of this chocolate, you are eating 2g of sugar. A bar of choclate is 50 g. This is pretty fantastic.

Inside the Thrive spectrum, I feel like it is very unlikely that this will screw me up. I will only have 2 to 3 square per night.

With that said, my family was sharing this artcile listing the benefits of chocolate.

The article is on the Huffing Post Mexico webiste: http://www.huffingtonpost.com.mx/entry/dark-chocolate-is-the-best_us_5890993ce4b0c90efefffe5c

The articule is cites is part of the Telegraph in the UK (not a scientific journal article)—though they end up citing a study from the British Journal of Nutririon conducted by Professor Saverio Strange.

Telegraph Article: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2016/04/30/eating-chocolate-every-day-good-for-your-health---study/

Here is a quote from the article—Those who ate 100g of chocolate a day - equivalent to a bar – were found to have reduced insulin resistance and improved liver enzymes. 

Do any of you have access to this study? Furthermore, this is my first experience trying to read anything scientific about nutrition. If I were to get my hands on this, what would you reccomend I focus on while reading this? What would be the optimal way of consuming chocolate assuming it is healthy?

The results I've obtained with Thrive are nothing short of amazing. Getting more and more into nutrition is something I'm so excited to do!!!

Everett Carroll

Hey Gustavo,

I am no expert on dark chocolate consumption; I have just glanced at couple of studies on PubMed. I think that if you're successfully sticking to the daily eating habits you learned in Thrive 1, then 2-3 squares of that super-dark chocolate per night is going to be inconsequential at worst and at best will provide some small health benefits. If you enjoy it, you can for sure include it in a balanced diet. 

Jeff Serven

Everett is right. A little dark chocolate isn't going to harm you. With that said there is a study that proves whatever you want to believe so be careful with that approach.