This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Handstand One Day One Confusion

Started by Darrin Deming, February 6, 2017 · 6 Replies · 211 Views

Darrin Deming

So today was the first day of H1. I am a little unsure of what to expect/think. I did all the wrist stretch warmup exercises. I then moved on to the Wall Wrist PE's...this is where my confusion started. They all seemed way too easy, but at the same time my wrist flexibility felt very tight. Am I supposed to mark "too easy" or "fine" for these exercises? The tripod was doable. I could have held it for a minute if I needed to, but again, it didn't feel "comfortable." The shoulder flexion with weighted bar was very difficult for me. I had to widen my grip on the bar to get into the position shown in the demo. It actually hurt my left shoulder and was unable to do it until I widened my grip. This was no surprise because I know shoulder mobility is a big weakness for me. I marked it as "fine" and will do it again next workout.

My ultimate question is this:  is anyone else somewhat unsure/confused as to what to expect here? I was expecting a little bit more from the exercises. I was expecting something of a shoulder workout where I felt like my shoulders would be smoked afterwards. But it didn't even feel like a workout, it felt like 10-15 minutes of not a whole lot. If this is what it is supposed to be then I will follow it to a tee all of the way through...I have no problem with that. Am I missing something? Maybe I need to adjust my expectations. Just looking for some feedback.

Thanks.

Winter Phoenix

Hi Darrin,

Welcome to the GB Handstand course!

The students who make the best progress are the ones who follow the program to the letter. They have been specifically designed to prepare and build your body slowly, building its capacity without the risk of injury. 

Logging workouts correctly will ensure you are on the correct steps, if you do find something "too easy" then this is how you should log it. However  if there is "tightness" or you feel "uncomfortable" then I wouldn't be logging this as "too easy". This is your bodies way of telling you it needs more time in the progression for it to adjust to the current demands of the exercise.

Coach Sommer always emphasizes "we need to go slow now, so we can go fast later". 

Darrin Deming

Thanks Winter. So the 10-15 min total exercise time is accurate? I'm not missing any info? Is there any way to view the entire H1 workout/movement progression? The only thing I am able to view is the current week's exercises. I would like to be able to see where I will be progressing to. It gives me motivation.

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Darrin Deming, you can find the progressions under your Course Library when you click the Fitness tab. :)

Darrin Deming

Thanks Leo!

Michael Vetter

I am also unsure about something.

I got H1 last week, before I started with the stretches and F1. They are all built like this:

Exercise + integrated mobility.

So in one set I always know I do E and then iM.

Now H1 has:

Wall Wrist Walk Step4 WP PE1 4x2r

So I wonder whats the difference between doing 8r and 4x2r since there is no iM for this, this also means there is no clear break in between? Also it is not stated how long the break should be? So far I dont feel the need for any break at all.

Jon Douglas
10 hours ago, Michael Vetter said:

I am also unsure about something.

I got H1 last week, before I started with the stretches and F1. They are all built like this:

Exercise + integrated mobility.

So in one set I always know I do E and then iM.

Now H1 has:

Wall Wrist Walk Step4 WP PE1 4x2r

So I wonder whats the difference between doing 8r and 4x2r since there is no iM for this, this also means there is no clear break in between? Also it is not stated how long the break should be? So far I dont feel the need for any break at all.

I prefer to do all 4 wrist prep exercises as a giant set, for exactly those reasons :)