hey! On the last step for handstand PE1. Whaddya think?
Headstand
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lpv7lwbwovqn71k/2017-02-03 HS PE1.mov?dl=0
Mobility
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x6m65xwd3o65n64/2017-02-03 hspe1mb.mov?dl=0
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Started by Zachary Ladwig, February 6, 2017 · 23 Replies · 574 Views
hey! On the last step for handstand PE1. Whaddya think?
Headstand
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lpv7lwbwovqn71k/2017-02-03 HS PE1.mov?dl=0
Mobility
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x6m65xwd3o65n64/2017-02-03 hspe1mb.mov?dl=0
Hi Zachary,
Nice work! The PE looks solid.
For the iM, try to keep your neck in a neutral position and pull your ribs in a bit more. It's a little bit hard to see for from the video, but your hands should be about shoulder width apart
HI Zachary, please in order to ask form review use a video service provider like youtube.
thanks for the feedback!
How does this round of the iM look? It feels like I may be missing some mobility here. I took a video from the front so you can see the hand position. It is too wide, right? What's the best way to gain mobility in this position?
Hi Zachary,
Thank you for posting more videos of your iM.
As you said, your hands are slightly too wide. Bring your hands closer together until they are directly in line with your shoulders. As you hold, remember to keep your head in a neutral position as Pauline suggested previously. I would also like to see you lean forward more as you hold.
As far as flexibility goes, the Thoracic Bridge series would help you to improve ROM on this exercise. You might also consider warming up with stretches such as elevated cat or inverted cat to improve ROM.
First thing first, the lean it is improtant exactly like the flexion. if you flex but you do not lean: no utility.
If you lean but no flex:no utility.
The exercise requires to reach the full flexion (180°) and lean forward. use a grip that is necessary to reach the 180° flexion.
We will be looking forward to your videos with updated technique Zachary
@Jeffrey Bittner good point about warming up with cat stretches. I always feel I can bring my hands closest after I finish my exercise, which I assume is because I am not warmed up enough
@Alessandro Mainente this maybe a silly question but what does 180 flexion exactly mean?
Full flexion it is a straight line from wrist to shoulder to hip.
Ah I see. How is this? I used quite a wide grip to try to get full flexion.
Hi Zachary,
Your form looks better, especially your lean. Nice work!
Remember to keep your neck in a neutral position. Also make sure to elevate your shoulders at all time. Imagine trying to get your shoulders to touch your ears. I'd also like to see you pulling your ribs in a bit more to create a hollow body position. You want to avoid making excessive movement with your shoulder blade, try to keep the bar still while you perform the exercise.
Keep working on it
thanks! @Pauline Taube How was this? I found that elevating shoulders actually made it tougher to lean forward, esepcially with a neutral neck...
Hi Zachary,
I second you on that one, elevating the shoulders definitely makes it thougher. But this is the correct position.
Try keeping the bar still when shrugging the shoulders, try getting shoulders to touch the ears. I can see that your lats are 'flaring' a bit. Elevating the shoulders more and creating a strong hollow will avoid this. Imagine pulling your belly bottom in to the spine.
You are making great progress with your training, Zachary! Enjoying follow your training
Hi @Pauline Taube I've been doing some of inverse cat stretches every day for a while and think I am making some progress on this, although I don't think(?) it is good enough to pass. How does it look?
Nice improvement Zachary.
Try to focus more on the lean rather than pulling your arms backwards. Then you want to hold the position still for 10seconds
Okay! How is this? @Pauline Taube I focused more on the lean and the arms are shoulder width apart.
Great work, Zachary ![]()
Nice degree of lean at 25-26seconds. I can see that you're picking up a slight arch in your low back. Try maintain this line while you're pulling your ribs in and hold the position for 10seconds
Hey Zachary, improvements for sure but you are still using a grip which is too narrow, also try to avoid to compensate with the wrists extension.
I recommend you the thoracic bridge series, your body tends to flex a bit the upper spine, this stretch course will restore it completely.
Hi! @Alessandro Mainente @Pauline Taube Here is a newer version of this exercise. I think it's looking better. I'm not sure if it's good enough to pass, but feels good to see progress. What do you think of this form? Also, I've been doing the stretch series for the past 9 months or so! (I started very inflexible originally)
Hi Zachary,
Hard work definitely pays off, great improvement. Your form is looking pretty good at 30-40s. I'd like to see slightly more lean, while keeping the body still for 10s.
Keep up the great work ![]()
Hi @Pauline Taube
Here's the newest version! I tried to lean a lot more. How does it look? I will pass this one someday ![]()
Very nice line, Zachary. It's great to watch your progress
Can you also post a video from the back? Make sure to pull your ribs in to create a nice hollow!
Awesome work ![]()
Thanks! @Pauline Taube here is a video from the back and side again
Great work Zachary! This is looking good ![]()