Hi, I'm close to finishing fundamentals and wondered how to go about choosing where to start my F1 workouts. Should I try and find the set and rep scheme that is the most challenging, but that I know I can complete with good form? Or should I start a few steps before and slowly work towards my max number of reps and sets. For example I know I can do 30 bodyweight squats with butt touching the ankles, so I could probably do the lower body PE1 mastery already. Should I still take a few weeks and start from step 7-8 to build some momentum? I can probably start on PE1 step 7-8 of upper body too very easily, maybe even do mastery on incline push-ups. I was also wondering about it considering coaches comments on building up connective tissues and basically taking my time. I was leaning towards taking a few steps back but just wondered how people went about it in general and the advice I could get from others that already started the program. Thanks a lot for any input or advice,
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Choosing starting sets and reps
Started by Benjamin Renaud, February 5, 2017 · 10 Replies · 178 Views
Hi Benjamin,
Usually the advice is to start at step 1 and hit easy of very easy until you get to a level which challenges you. Better not to progress to a new progression without posting a form check.
If you really really really feel you can start at a more advanced level you can go to settings and select where to start, but keep in mind that a few weeks at an intensity which is not challenging are good to dial in good form.
@Guido Franchetti thanks, I was only planning on starting with more advanced steps on exercises with witch I am familiar from previous training. I know for example that tuck-ups aren't my best exercise just because I don't have the timing down yet, so I am starting that at step 1. I will make sure to select a volume that I find easy to dial in form and technique. Will give me more time to work on the iM element too.
Hi Benjamin,
Like Guido said, start all of your PE1 exercises at step 1 and use the smiley faces after each workout to record how each felt. Your programming will automatically adjust each day based on that input. If too easy is selected after each workout, you will only spend four workouts on that progression before advancing.
Even if the strength component feels far too easy, those four workouts are important for getting exposure to the mobility exercises. I also suggest taking this time to submit form check videos for both PE and iM. This will ensure your execution and mobility are on point before progressing.
@Everett Carroll, thanks for the answer, I will make sure I do that and take my time. From the practice sessions I did to try out the different PE and iM, I shouldn't have too much problems with the early iM, my mobility is generally ok. But taking my time to learn the new movements is for sure the best way to go.
As for form checks I need to find a way to make decent quality videos for that. I Will figure that out in the coming weeks. Thanks again.
Sounds good Benjamin. Definitely take the time to learn and perfect each movement. Looking forward to your form checks!
I came into F1 already fairly fit and strong compared to my peer group, but I still started back at PE1 step 1 on everything. There are a couple of spots where I'm actually stuck at step 9 and will not move onto PE2 yet because of the mobility component! So similar to you, Benjamin, on squats, I can easily crank out 5 sets of 15 full depth squats for step 9 but I can't do the mastery on mobility.
So I just added more reps to my workout. I'm now doing 5 sets of 25 full depth squats (remember to keep back as upright as possible! This makes it a lot harder).
The smiley system is pretty awesome. If you just start at the beginning and hit "too easy" after that workout, you'll be at Step 4 the next time. If that happens again you'll be at Step 7, then 9. So if you do the workouts 2x per week each (that's my routine at least), you'll move to PE2 in less than 2 weeks.
Awesome insight Chris. Mobility is often where adults get hung-up.
PLease follow Everett's suggestion when you need to begin a new GB program.
@Chris Umiastowski Thanks for the input, its true that with the "too easy button" things can go fast, so why not take the time to start at the beginning and progress that way.
May I ask what is holding you back in the mobility component? It seemed simple enough to me but I might be missing something, or maybe I'm just used to doing them from work a PT had me do a few years back. I was doing them to work on glute medius activation along with clams.
I'll make sure I get a form check when I'm ready to move to PE2 on lower body.
@Benjamin Renaud It's the single leg squat PE2 (parallel squat) iM component - the side leg lifts (I think that's what they are called?) - I'm not able to get enough range of motion yet. I am being very careful not to cheat in the movement - not to let the pelvis rotate. Check out the video explaining the movement and check to make sure you really have the mobility before progressing. I regularly take videos of myself doing the movement and submit them for review, and when I do this I execute the movement from 2 to 3 angles so the coaches can really see what's going on. It's very helpful.